Thursday, October 24, 2019

Diabetes and the dollar menu from 'Food, Inc.' for Food Day


A Happy Food Day, the theme of which is "eat real" by "cutting back on sugar drinks, overly salted packaged foods and fatty, factory-farmed meats in favor of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and sustainably raised protein."  As I have for the last four years, I am observing the day here on my blog by discussing the worksheet my students fill out while watching "Food, Inc."  This year's topic is the relationship between cheap and fast food and diabetes.  Watch The Dollar Menu.


Now the relevant question from the worksheet.

17. What dilemma does the Gonzales family face when balancing money and food?

First, it's cheaper to eat fast food and snack food than it is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables because of subsidies.  That's a topic I explore in Corn questions from 'Food, Inc.' worksheet.  Second, the Gonzales family either has enough money to pay for the medicines for the father's diabetes or healthy food to prevent diabetes, not both.  That's a dilemma.

The clip above ends before the film shows the answer to the next question, but not before I tell my students to watch the hands of the students answering the question about how many people with diabetes do they know.  I'm still amazed how many of them know three members of their family with type II diabetes.

18. What fraction of all American children born after 2000 has been predicted to come down with Type II diabetes during their lifetime?  What fraction of minority children (from caption)?

The answer is one in three for all Americans born after 2000 (the oldest of whom are no longer children and some of whom are already my students), one in two for minorities.  Wow.  People say misery loves company, but I would rather not have more people share my condition, even if I'm a Type I diabetic, not a Type II.  It takes work and discipline to stay alive and healthy to say nothing about money and good insurance.  I'm glad I have all of these and I know not everyone does, including the Gonzales family.

Once again, Happy Food Day and eat healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment