Friday, October 18, 2019

Vox tells the story of Thomas Hofeller, the man who gerrymandered America


I haven't examined gerrymandering since May, when I posted 'Slay the Dragon' examines the campaign to eliminate gerrymandering in Michigan, so it was about time I do so again.  Fortunately, Vox gave me the opportunity by uploading The man who rigged America's election maps yesterday.  Watch.

The story of the man who gerrymandered America.
...
When Republican mapmaker Thomas Hofeller died in 2018, we learned exactly how far Republicans were willing to go to gerrymander political districts — and rig elections to give themselves majorities in statehouses and Congress.
While I ended up being wrong when I wrote "I'm much more optimistic about North Carolina's districts being remedied than Wisconsin's, although I'm hoping that the Supreme Court does find that partisan gerrymandering has gone too far," I'm glad to see the state courts do something about the issue now that the U.S. Supreme Court gave them the responsibility.  The door closed, but the window opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment