Thursday, January 30, 2020

Ezra Klein of Vox calls impeachment the ultimate loyalty test — Trump or the constitution?

When I wrote yesterday that "I'm sure I'll return to 'The Worst Wing'...unless an even shinier object catches my eye first" for today's post, I was hoping for the shiny object.  Instead, I'm examining impeachment as I predicted.  I guess that's why I ended yesterday's entry with "Yeah, right."

However, I didn't think I'd go back to a prediction of how the current story arc would likely end from the conclusion of season 3.  I also didn't expect to post something serious instead of comedic.  I'm doing both by sharing Impeachment is Trump's ultimate loyalty test for Republicans from Vox.

Will the GOP choose Trump over the constitution?
...
Donald Trump is the 3rd president in American history to be impeached by the House of Representatives, joining Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. Richard Nixon resigned before the House voted on the articles of impeachment.

But this is the middle, not the end, of the impeachment process – Trump is now officially charged with the abuses of power laid out in the House’s articles of impeachment, but will be tried in the Republican-majority senate. But what will congressional Republicans accept, and what will that mean for future presidents?  What we know so far paints a dangerous picture.
First, even though the trial has not ended by the time I've posted this entry, it's clear that Ezra Klein will be right; Trump will not be convicted, removed, and disqualified from holding political office.  This comes as no surprise; Klein himself argued for impeachment even if it doesn't result in conviction and removal back in October.  Also, Klein forecast the arguments that Republicans would use in defense of Trump.  Many if not most of them were used already in the trial.  Now, Americans will have to hope that the last prediction, that abuses of power will become unchecked in the future, does not also come to pass.  I'm not terribly optimistic, at least as long as Trump is President.

No comments:

Post a Comment