Wednesday, September 23, 2020

200,000 dead from the pandemic in the U.S.

I posted 100,000 dead and 40 million unemployed in the U.S., the human toll of the pandemic so far on May 28th. Four months later, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to take American lives, as ABC News reported US hits 200,000 COVID-19 deaths in six months last night.

President Trump falsely claimed that COVID-19 “affects virtually nobody” younger than 18 while Dr. Anthony Fauci warned the U.S. is entering a “risk period” as people move indoors this fall.
ABC News was right to call out Trump's false claim and follow up with examples of young people dying from COVID-19. As for Trump thinking the only failure of his administration on the pandemic was public relations, it's both appalling and completely on-brand for him. He would think that way.

CBS News uploaded a longer and more comprehensive report in yesterday's U.S. records more than 200,000 deaths from COVID-19.

The U.S. has surpassed 200,000 coronavirus deaths, the highest total of any country in the world. Dr. Blythe Adamson, an epidemiologist and advisor for the nonprofit organization Testing for America, joined CBSN's Elaine Quijano to discuss the importance of COVID-19 testing and how it could help the country curb its cases.
Not only does the likelihood of another wave of COVID-19 scare me, so does the return of flu season. Two years ago, I told my readers Flu killed 80,000 Americans last year [2017-2018], including 183 children, the CDC reported, so get a a flu shot. I will get a flu shot this year, just as I did last year. I hope my readers do, too, as the reward outweighs the risk.

CBS News repeated the grim news in CDC retracts guidance on airborne spread of coronavirus as U.S. reaches 200,000 deaths, adding an example in the headline of why I don't think the Trump Administration deserves any grade above a D in its handling of the pandemic.

Dr. Eric Cioe-Peña joins CBSN to discuss the milestone of 200,000 American lives lost in the pandemic, and what can be done to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
I think CBS News didn't focus enough on the irregularity, to put it mildly, of the CDC posting and then retracting its guidance on how to reduce the spread of the coronavirus. However, they did do a good job of conveying how the pandemic is making Halloween even scarier, and not in a fun way.

Speaking of scary, the forecast is for up to 300,000 American deaths from the pandemic by the end of the year. I hope that doesn't come true, but I'm not optimistic. If (when) it happens, I promise to post an update. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think 200,000 deaths will be the tipping point to start any positive action concerning Covid19. Too big of your population is, well, too stupid to learn and just want to "own the libtards". Sorry for you, and really sorry for the rest of us who will be collateral damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back!

      I don't think so, either, for the reasons you mention, although I would call it "motivated reasoning" instead of mere stupidity. I don't even think the failure of the virus to "magically disappear" after election day will make a difference with them.

      Delete