Friday, October 2, 2020

Seth Meyers and Samantha Bee weigh in with their closer looks at the first presidential debate

While the big news is that President Trump has tested positive for COVID-19, that's such a fast-moving story with so many angles that I couldn't settle on how to blog about it today.* Instead, I'm going to make one more trip to the well of the presidential debate by featuring two more late-night comedians, Seth Meyers and Samantha Bee. Take it away Seth with Trump's Debate Performance Was an Embarrassing Debacle: A Closer Look!

Seth takes a closer look at President Trump debasing himself and the nation on live TV and his deranged sycophants making excuses for his performance.
I know I already quoted CNN's Jake Tapper calling the debate "a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck" and included CNN's Dana Bash calling it "a $#!+ show" in Stephen Colbert's clip, but both of those comments are worth repeating, as vulgar as they are, and Seth included them. Speaking of vulgar, one of Seth's viewers left a comment that summed up my reaction: "Debating Trump is like playing chess with a pigeon. He knocks over the pieces, shits on the board, then struts around like he won." That's exactly what I thought about the debate, too.

On the subject of pigeons, Seth opened last night's Trump Lashes Out After Unhinged Debate Performance: A Closer Look with a pigeon joke.

Seth takes a closer look at Trump trying to paint Biden as drugged up and senile while attempting to steal the election by lying about voter fraud.
"Coo, coo" — LOL, no, "coup, coup!" I feel like telling the pigeon the same thing Joe Biden told Trump at the debate, "Will you shut up, man?" That line appeared in Full Frontal with Samantha Bee's Sam Responds To The First (And God, Not The Last??) 2020 Presidential “Debate” as did the ones by Tapper and Bash, this time without being bleeped. Yay, cable!

Last night’s debate gave us a taste of what’s to come in the remaining few weeks before November 3rd... and let’s just say our taste buds will never be the same. #ExpectTheWorst
I'm always glad to include Sam's take on things; she and her Emmy-winning writers always have a unique perspective on events that the other late-night hosts don't share, as much as they share with each other. It gives freshness to comedy that might otherwise get stale. Stay tuned to find out.

On the topic of staleness, while this is my second bite at the apple of the debate, it might not be my last. I haven't checked the TV schedule yet, but if Saturday Night Live and/or John Oliver revisit the debate, I'll probably post their takes on it as well. Stay tuned to find out.

*I had my choice of breaking news, analysis, mocking Trump mocking Biden and others wearing masks, and the view from Michigan. Trying to decide among them made my head hurt. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to decide among them. Maybe I'll do something else, like covering John Oliver's latest episode as an angle for his four Emmy wins. Leave a comment to help me decide. Maybe that will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment