Friday, July 1, 2022

A happy drum corps Canada Day 2022!


Happy Canada Day! To celebrate the first of three patriotic holidays in July I observe on this blog, I am continuing a tradition I began six years ago with Canadian drum corps for Canada Day, showcasing units from the 1970s to the 2000s. I begin this celebration of Canadian drum corps with this year's pre-DCI corps, 1971 De La Salle Oaklands.


Nationals video, US Open audio

Now for this year's featured drum corps, 1978 Offensive Lions - Canadian Nationals.


I'm recycling my comment to the video at YouTube for my reaction.
I marched in the 1978 Anaheim Kingsmen and we competed against them just once at DCI prelims. They beat us having gone on the day before. Our reaction was "the WHO beat us?" Now that I've finally seen this video, 43 years later, I understand why. Great G.E.!
Thanks to Gelp99 on YouTube for uploading this and other videos of Canadian corps, some of which I'm sharing today.

Follow over the jump for the rest of today's featured Canadian corps from the 1980s to the 21st Century.

For the 1980s, I'm sharing Drum Corps Fan's upload of 1986 Ventures Drum and Bugle Corps


23rd Place - Madison, Wisconsin

I decided to include this video for today's post because Hi-Stepper's account, which hosted the Ventures videos I used in A happy drum corps Canada Day 2020!, has been terminated and the videos of the Ventures in that post are now lost. Here's hoping that doesn't happen any time soon to Drum Corps Fan's account, but as I first wrote in Christmas in July ten years ago, enjoy this while it lasts. It may not be up long.

To represent both the 1990s and Canada's all-age corps, I'm sharing 1999 Kingston Grenadiers - DCA Finals.


I begin the 21st Century section of this entry with Preston Scout House @ The 2014 Buffalo BHOF Regional - BFDTV, the first alumni unit I've included in this series.

The Preston Scout House Drum and Bugle Corps perform at the inaugural 2014 BHOF Buffalo Regional.

Captured 4.5.14
For an encore, I'm closing with Burlington Teen Tour Band - 2018 Pasadena Bandfest from Music213.

From Burlington, Ontario, Canada
The City of Burlington Teen Tour Band performing their field show at the 38th Annual Pasadena Tournament of Roses Bandfest on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
So it's neither a drum corps nor a unit that competes in SoundSport. I couldn't resist embedding it today. Maybe next year, I'll have new video of either the Calgary Stampede Band or the Scout House Cadets at Soundsport to share. Cross your fingers and hope the pandemic doesn't mess that up.

That's it for today, so "it's time to recycle San. It wouldn't be one of my Canada Day posts without her."

No comments:

Post a Comment