Saturday, June 10, 2023

Vox explains 'Why Disney World is in Florida'

While I've been documenting the conflict between Disney and Ron DeSantis, Vox has been researching the history of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, Disney World's own government as it examined Why Disney World is in Florida.

Disney World really is a kingdom.
...
Have you ever wondered why Disney World is located where it is? Or how it came to be such a massive, self-contained universe? It’s a story that involves secret land deals, special districts, and, now, a corporation and a government locked in a feud.

The story of why Disney World is in Florida marries business and governmental concerns about the creation of the massive property. The engineering ranges from unique physical construction (like the creation of a lake) to unique legal construction (like the creation of a self-running government that could even build its own sewer system).
I knew much of the history already, since I've been following theme park YouTube accounts for as long as I've been blogging about the Retail Apocalypse by that name, but I enjoyed seeing what a news organization did with the story instead of a travel or fan channel. Vox has different interests than Defunctland, Yesterworld, Rob Plays/Midway to Main Street, Offhand Disney, Expedition Theme Park, or DFBGuide, whose videos I've embedded here; law and government are secondary concerns to them, while Vox considers those topics central to their history of Disney World. I hope my readers found Vox's perspective on Disney World interesting and entertaining as well.

Normally, I would have shared this video tomorrow for the Sunday entertainment feature, but I have something else planned — 30 years of Jurassic Park! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment