Saturday, April 16, 2011

Book recommendation: Stuffed and Starved



Stuffed and Starved
Markets, Power and the Hidden Battle for the World’s Food System

Wait, this post isn't about collapse and surviving it? Maybe, maybe not. It does fit the topics I picked out for this blog on this month's NaBloPoMo blogroll--food and politics, although I never managed to get listed under politics. This book is all about the global politics of food, so much so that I'm using it for a textbook.

As for the book's relevance to collapse, there is a lot wrong with the international food system, some of which is contributing to global collapse and much of which won't survive collapse, either, such as the long supply lines and heavy use of fossil fuels. In this book, Raj Patel gives a piercing critique of the way global capitalism shapes what humans grow and eat, exposing many of the flaws in the food system that contribute to collapse and what can be done about it. It's also an entertaining and informative read and Raj Patel is a charming and compelling person who knows his gin.

I'll probably blog more about it later, but right now, I'm going back to bed. I have an event to go to tonight. Hey, I can't be all doom all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment