Sunday, June 10, 2018

A belated World Oceans Day 2018


A belated World Oceans Day to my readers!  I was so wrapped up in June 8 being a Throwback Thursday so I could post a retrospective then distressed by the death of Anthony Bourdain that I completely forgot about it being World Oceans Day.  To make up for it, I'm sharing CBS News' A look at the dangers our oceans are facing ahead of World Oceans Day.*

Friday is World Oceans Day, which comes at a time our oceans face threats from plastic pollution as well as the growing effects of climate change. Gaelin Rosenwaks, a marine scientist and founder of Global Ocean Exploration, joins CBSN to discuss the dangers oceans face and how people can take small but significant steps to make a difference.
Climate change, plastic pollution, and overfishing make a deadly trifecta of threats to all the world's oceans, not just the coral reefs.  Here's to hoping World Oceans Day makes people more aware of their impact on the oceans.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the overfishing link. I had read about how much wasted fish there is in a book called "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Foer. I don't care for the taste of seafood much anyway, so it was a small sacrifice to swear off it.

    The size of the nets is just incredible. Wow, 13 jumbo jets!

    I try not to be a pessimist. It's hard nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks for stopping by. One of my students provided the video so if I ever see her again, I'll pass your thanks on to her.

      I agree with you. It is hard to be optimistic these days. I do try and sometimes I even succeed.

      Delete