Friday, June 15, 2012

Total Recall of Troy Mayor: A serious to silly update

The recall of Troy Mayor Janice Daniels has sprouted legs since I blogged about it two days ago. First, it made the local TV news. Take it away, WXYZ!




The mayor of Troy is facing a recall after a petition calling for her ouster was turned in.
In the segment, Daniels discounted the legitimacy of the recall.
"They're based upon my positions that I take, my votes that I take, and that is hardly reason to recall someone. A recall should be used if someone commits a crime and I have committed no crime."
That's not true, as a press release from Recall Janice Daniels quoted in The Oakland Press article about the story points out.
“This assertion has no basis in fact. Michigan’s Constitution and subsequent legislation ... permits recall for any objectionable conduct during the elected official’s term in office. In contrast, when an elected official has committed an illegal act, the officer can be removed ... (in) a completely separate and distinct procedure.”
In The Oakland Press article, Daniels also cited the example of Scott Walker in Wisconsin.
“I’m proud of the results in Wisconsin, where Scott Walker’s team proved the people don’t like recalls,” she said.
That same article also linked to Janice Daniels' website and concluded by quoting the Mayor's appeal for donations and volunteers to fight the recall. They didn't link to the website of the pro-recall group, so I will.




Recall Janice Daniels!


Things get silly over the jump.

While all this was going on, Daniels doubled down what got her national media attention in the first place, her homophobia. As Troy Patch reported, "Troy Mayor Compares Homosexual Lifestyle to Cigarette Smoking."
"What I said while I was mayor ... I was in a business meeting, I come from a business perspective ... I said that I would bring a doctor into a meeting that would say that the homosexual lifestyle is dangerous," Daniels told Talk Radio 1270 host Charlie Langton, according to CBS. "Had I been with a group of smokers I might have said I would like to bring a doctor into this meeting to say that smoking is dangerous."

After Langton asked whether the mayor felt it was dangerous to be gay, Huffington Post reported, Daniels said she had no opinion, but noted, "I think that doctors can make a case for it, certainly."
Troy Patch has a poll asking "Are you offended by Troy Mayor Janice Daniels' recent comments comparing the dangers of the homosexual lifestyle to the dangers of cigarette smoking?" Right now, the yes votes are winning 200 to 56 with 5 choosing "I don't know." Lame. Also, the comments section is getting swarmed by partisans on both sides.

Speaking of active comments sections, the entire controversy has hit Wonkette, where Jeff Wattrick, who penned the Deadline Detroit article I quoted two days ago, got to write what he really thinks about her.

Good Luck On Recall Of Lady Mayor Calling Your Kids ‘Queer,’ Troy, Michigan!
Michigan’s most unintentionally comedic mayor since Kwame Kilpatrick was fellated while he was simultaneously texting and eating pork lips/entrails at “Benz Chili Bowl” is cold getting recalled.

We speak of Janice Daniels, the most holy and exalted mayor of Troy, MI, one of those blandly pleasant/affluent suburbs that’s pretty much indistinguishable from every other blandly pleasant/affluent suburb. Oh, look, Old Navy! And P.F. Changs!
Read the comments. They're priceless.

Finally, speaking of P.F. Chang's and political kookery, both of which apply to this subject, one of my favorite documents online is The Way of the Kook. In the middle of a list of kooky behaviors is the following suggestion.
When in doubt: Order the Crab Won Ton
Crab Won Tons at P.F. Chang's in the Somerset Collection when Daniels is recalled!




Crossposted to Michigan Liberal and Daily Kos.

No comments:

Post a Comment