Saturday, June 23, 2012

Video updates from WXYZ and WOOD on "Vagina" and bridge

The big story of last week was "Vagina" goes viral, which got more page views than any other entry I posted in the past seven days. I concluded that post with the following look ahead.
The fun and games aren't over yet. On Monday, there will be a performance of "Vagina Monologues" on the State Capitol steps starring nine female Michigan legislators. Never will the expression "political theater" be meant so literally.
So, how did that go? According to WXYZ, spectacularly.





V DAY PROTEST


WOOD-TV also covered the event, with even more crowd reaction and quotes from other politicians besides Lisa Brown, including Barb Byrum, who was also silenced.





Thousands showed up for a performance of the "Vagina Monologues."


In an earlier clip from WXYZ, Cheryl Chodun estimated the crowd to be at least 3,000. The lowest estimate I read was 2,500 and the highest 5,000. Whatever it was, I believe Chodun's observation that it was the largest crowd she's ever seen on the steps of the State Capitol to be spot on. My wife and I have been to protests in Lansing and were disappointed that they never got much over 1,000 participants. I'm glad this one was so well attended and covered.

That wasn't the only big story from last week. The signing of the agreement to build a
new Detroit-Windsor bridge, also merited my attention. At the end of my post about the event, I gave this advice.
I was approached by a petition circulator for this proposed referendum on Thursday. I asked her if this was for Maroun's second bridge. When she said yes, I responded that I would not sign the petition. I then told her that Matty Maroun could go to Hell and walked away. I hope all you who read this entry tell Maroun to go jump, too.
According to WXYZ, it's too late to stop this by not signing the petition.




People who oppose the state's plan to build a second span to Canada say they have enough signatures to put the measure on the ballot.
Looks like the place to oppose this is at the ballot box, that is, if the measure ever gets there. Eclectablog broke the news that at least Republican member of the Board of Canvassers is resigning. If both resign, then at least five initiatives, including this one, may be held off the November ballot because the Board lacks a quorum. That might be worth reporting for Examiner.com. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment