Sunday, September 22, 2013

Funny politicians and scientists on television

I told my readers to "Stay tuned for my thoughts on the comedies, variety shows, and reality shows" in Politics and fantasy at the Emmy Awards: Dramas.  Here's to keeping that promise, beginning with the comedies.

While there is at least one critically acclaimed comedy about politicians in "Veep," there is no equivalent fantasy.  Instead, there is fiction about scientists and science fiction, "The Big Bang Theory."  The latter will have to do.

ETA: both shows are up for best comedy series.  I think both will lose to "30 Rock."  Next year.

"Veep" and "The Big Bang Theory" each have three acting nominations, although they're competing against each other in only one category, Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Role, where Mayim Bialik, who plays Amy Farrah Fowler in "The Big Bang Theory," is facing Anna Chlumsky as Amy Brookheimer on "Veep."  Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tony Hale of "Veep" is up for female comedy lead and male supporting role, while Jim Parsons and Bob Newhart are contending for male comedy lead, and comedy male guest role for "The Big Bang Theory."  My wife and I are watching "Veep," so we're rooting for that show.  Neither of us are watching "The Big Bang Theory," even though we're both scientists.  Maybe that should change.  That written, I don't think either of those shows will outperform "Girls," which my wife and I have watched and don't think is particularly funny.  Too bad.

Neither of these shows earned a single nomination for writing or directing, which probably shows how strong the acting is in both of them.

I'll return with my thoughts about the rest of the shows presently.  Until then, here is someone noted for being both funny and playing a scientist on television, Neil Patrick Harris, on tonight's show.

Go behind the scenes of host Neil Patrick Harris' magical photo shoot for the '65th Primetime Emmy Awards.'

No comments:

Post a Comment