Wednesday, September 16, 2015

There's a Santorum cocktail, too


I'm not done with drinks for Republican candidates today.  In my research for Drink a Flaming Volcano for Jindal, I found out that a bar in Brooklyn came up with a drink named after Rick Santorum in 2012.  The Brooklyn Paper broke the story in Fourth Avenue watering hole serves Santorum.
Brooklynites can’t vote on Super Tuesday, but that doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy a little Santorum.

A Fourth Avenue watering hole is pouring a delightfully sinful drink named after Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum — and the dirty Google problem that has haunted him ever since he irked syndicated sex columnist Dan Savage.

“People really like it even though it’s named after something gross — both the person and the Dan Savage meaning,” said John Rauschenberg, co-owner of Pacific Standard. “It’ll be an election fixture at least until primary season is over.”

The duo behind the beer hole near St. Mark’s Place often put out cocktails with suggestive names, such as the Corn Holed Fashioned or Mike Gallego’s Cup.

But the Santorum, a milky mixture of Baileys, orange vodka, bitters and chocolate flakes, seems to be sticking.
...
“When he was winning in the polls, I thought, ‘OK, I’ll do a Santorum,’” said Jon Stan, co-owner and creator of the scandalous social lubricant. “We’ll keep it around until he’s irrelevant. I hope he’s there the whole way.”
Since Santorum is running again and will be participating in tonight's early debate, he's relevant again, so it's time to revive this drink.  Follow over the jump for more media coverage of this brown frothy concoction.

Slate picked up the story in Try the Santorum.
Served in a bathtub of a cocktail glass, the Santorum stunned at first sight. It promised the texture of an Oreo-accented frozen-yogurt smoothie. The garnishes floating on its glazy meniscus—a constellation of Godiva dark chocolate flakes, an orange splotch of Angostura bitters—parodied the AbEx mises en place of precious haute cuisine. In the Rorschach blot of the bitters stain, I saw a Scottish terrier in profile, and I meditated first on Santorum’s fantasies about “man-on-dog” sex and then of course about Mitt Romney driving to Canada with his Irish setter on the roof of the car, his hands positioned at 10 and 2, no doubt.

My Santorum was sweet but balanced, with a subtle citrus pucker, and I asked the bartender to pour some into an old-fashioned glass so that our new friends could share a taste.
"An old-fashioned glass"--how appropriate!

The drink story got picked by Jezebel, Buzzfeed, The Frisky and even WikiNews, then came full circle back to The Brooklyn Paper.  Unfortunately, none of them were able to do more than list the ingredients; the portions remain a secret, so there is no exact recipe out there for this version of the drink.  The best I could find was this one from DrinkNation.
    1 part Kahlua
    1 part Vodka
    2 parts Milk

Mixing Instructions

Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into glass. Make sure it's frothy.
It's basically a White Russian.  I'd recommend sprinkling chocolate flakes to at least make it look the part.

Unfortunately, Tipsy Bartender doesn't have a recipe video for this drink--yet.*  The closest I could find is the Hershey Nugget Martini.

Chocolate candy and Ice Cream lovers this one is just what you need...THE HERSHEY NUGGET MARTINI!
...
HERSEY NUGGET MARTINI
1 oz. (30ml) Vodka
2 oz. (60ml) Amaretto
3 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
1 Tbsp. Dulce de Leche
1 oz. (30ml) Chocolate Syrup

Garnish:
Chocolate Syrup
Caramel Syrup
Pecans
Hershey Chocolate Nugget
It certainly looks the part already.

This entry would not be complete without the relevant rule from Paul W.'s Update: GOP Debate Drinking Game for 2016 But For the September 2015 Foofaraw In Particular.
If Santorum punches out any Google executives in the audience during the debate, take two drinks.
I'll post the link to this entry over at Paul's blog.  I'm not optimistic he'll let the comment through.  When I told him I had a recipe for a drink that was brown and frothy, he replied that "I will not promote that Santorum drink. This blog has standards, dammit."  Darn.

*I'm going to pass along the ingredient list and name to Skyy and hope he comes up with a recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Well you can take the drink cocktails for Rick Perry and Scott Walker off the list now.

    Just don't add one for David Cameron, for the LOVE OF GOD...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got around to making one for Rick. As for David Cameron, I'll pass. I don't know what that pig stuff is about and I don't think I want to know. Besides, I'm more likely to come up with something for the Canadian election.

      Delete