Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Infidel 753 and I talk fossils


Last week, Infidel 753 namechecked my blog to begin Ten years -- a bit of blowing my own horn.
Some blogs such as Crazy Eddie and Politics Plus post regular digests of their statistics, which give a glimpse of what interests their readers and where those readers are drawn from.  I haven't ever done that, but having just reached my ten-year anniversary, I took a look back at the whole history of the blog via the stat counter, out of curiosity.
I expressed my gratitude in the comments.
Congratulations on ten years of blogging! I'm flattered to be mentioned as an example of posting regular digests of my statistics and of playing a minor part in inspiring you to write this entry.
That's not what really caught my eye.  This was.
#10: "important things that happened in 2006"
#9 "infidels 753"
#8 "calenche ranae manos" (?????)
#7 "things that happened in 2006"
#6 "infidel 753"
#5 "arthropod"
#4 "title"
#3 "eurypterid"
#2 "eurypterids"
#1 "infidel753"

#5, #3, and #2 are explained here, and I guess a lot of people see something I've written elsewhere on the net (I use the name "Infidel753" almost everywhere) and look me up.  Aside from that, I'm baffled by these.
Those search terms reminded me that I have been ignoring one of my areas of expertise.
As for "eurypterids" being the second most used search term for your blog, I'm envious. Mine is "game of thrones dungeons and dragons." I'm the paleontologist and you get the traffic for a prehistoric animal? Of course, it might help if I actually blogged more about extinct organisms. Most of my posts with the paleontology label are about the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World movies.
That admission surprised Infidel.
You're a paleontologist? That had slipped by me. Well, feel free to borrow the eurypterids -- perhaps they'll prove a critter of good internet fortune for you as well.
See the illustration.
Yes, I'm a paleontologist. As I wrote on LiveJournal nine years ago, "I am the world's expert on the fossil snails and clams of Rancho La Brea. Seriously. Of course, that and $1.60 plus tax will get me a tall coffee at Starbucks. It's still my claim to scientific fame." I've since updated how much a grande tall Starbucks coffee costs and the boast to "Yes, I was the first person to identify 33 species from the most famous fossil deposit in North America. That, and $1.65 plus tax will get me a tall coffee at Starbucks. :-)" As I wrote, I really need to write about fossils more at my current blogging home. I might start with the eurypterids and that image, which is from "Swimming with Sea Monsters."
Here's the photo in question.


I may have recalled the show's title as "Swimming with Sea Monsters," but it's really called Sea Monsters: A Walking with Dinosaurs Trilogy.

Infidel encouraged me in his final reply.
I'd definitely be interested in a fossil snail post. And I'm glad you also appreciate Lady Gaga.
Thank you, Infidel.  I've already borrowed the eurypterids and blogged about Lady Gaga.  I'll have to write about fossil snails, not just living ones.  Stay tuned.

P.S. Infidel wasn't the only blogger inspired at least in part by my example.  Paul W. of You Might Notice a Trend referred to both Infidel and me in Ten Years Blogging And All I Got to Show For It Is a T-Shirt.  Their examples inspired me.  Sometimes inspiration circles back to its source.

12 comments:

  1. That's some fascinating work you do. I'm happy to live here in Northern NY where we don't have 10 foot eurypterids. Maybe there were at one time, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still consider myself a paleontology, but it's work I used to do. For the past 20 years, I've taught biology, geology, and environmental science. I use my knowledge of paleontology in all my classes, though, whether to teach geologic time or evolution.

      And, yes, there were eurypterids in New York once upon a time. The Niagara Dolomite, which forms the top of the falls and escarpment, have eurypterid fossils in them. In fact, according to this link, a eurypterid, Eurypterus remipes, is the state fossil of New York.

      Delete
    2. "I still consider myself a "paleontology"--paleontologist! I can tell it's been a long day!

      Delete
    3. Quite welcome. Glad you appreciated it.

      Delete
  2. that would be one hell of a lobster dish if I weren't all NOPE NOPE NOPE about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and most people would be disappointed if that's what you're expecting. If they're like horseshoe crabs, then there is nowhere near as much fleshy meat was there would be in a crab or lobster the same mass. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the critter were inedible, just like most parts of a horseshoe crab, which its nearest marine relative.

      That written, one can eat land scorpions. I have a post that features scorpion lollipops, for example. Yes, I like to gross people out with entries about eating bugs.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I like to gross people out with entries about eating bugs

      Or in this case, bugs large enough to eat people -- if not for the fact that they've been extinct for 300 million years. My eurypterid posts got a couple of comments about eating them like lobsters, even though I pointed out that they were actually related to scorpions.

      I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that picture of the guy with the hat holding the eurypterid over the years. Most people have no idea what it is and are a little alarmed because it looks so real. I usually tell them "if you see one of those bugs, just step on it".

      I looked at the GREEN link and couldn't help smiling at the picture of the purple eurypterid being eaten by the yellow one, and the purple one's expression is all like "Sigh, whatevs dude.....dang Mondays....."

      Delete
    3. "I looked at the GREEN link and couldn't help smiling at the picture of the purple eurypterid being eaten by the yellow one"--Huh? I don't see a green link on my screen, just blue (ones that I haven't clicked on in this browswer) and gray (ones that I have looked at). What are you looking at that you see those?

      Delete
    4. GREEN = Giants Rib Escarpment Education Network. It's the one with the text "this link" in the second paragraph of your first reply to Kevin Robbins.

      Delete
    5. Thank you. That it was an acronym escaped me.

      Delete
    6. Actually, I think you're misinterpreting that image. I think the "yellow one" isn't a living eurypterid. It's the shed exoskeleton of the purple one. That's why it's so blasé.

      Delete