Sunday, November 13, 2016

A final 'Hallelujah' for Leonard Cohen


No one voted for the topic of today's entertanment entry, so I'm counting my own "write-in" for Leonard Cohen, whose song "Everybody Knows" I've used twice on this blog.  ABC News has the story in Leonard Cohen Dead at 82 | Remembering the 'Hallelujah' Songwriter.

Leonard Cohen, the Canadian poet, novelist and musician best known for writing the song "Hallelujah," has died.
Cohen had been compared to Bob Dylan, who won the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature.  Some people were even suggesting that he should get the next one.  That won't happen; Nobel Prizes are not given to people who are already dead at the time of decision.

That written, Cohen's artistry and fame will live on, as it did last Saturday night, when Election Week Cold Open - SNL featured his most famous song, "Hallelujah."

Hillary Clinton (Kate McKinnon) performs Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."
No, I'm not giving up.  As Charles Blow wrote "I respect the presidency; I do not respect this president-elect. I cannot. Count me among the resistance...Power must be challenged, constantly. That begins today."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that clip of Kate McKinnon doing Hallelujah. Beautiful. Somewhere Leonard Cohen has a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for using it on your blog and giving me a hat/tip! I'll thank you there, too!

      Delete