Saturday, February 18, 2017

Driving update for February 2017: Pearl


It was only 42 days ago that I posted Driving update for January 2017: Pearl, but it's time for another driving update as Pearl the Prius rolled over another 1,000 miles to reach 32,000 miles at the end of the day on Thursday.  It took 41 days for that to happen between January 6th and February 16th, which translates to an average of 24.39 miles per day and 743.9 miles per month, returning me to the 24.39 miles/day and 743.90 miles/standard month I drove during October and early November of last year.  That's a lot more than the 16.95 miles per day or 516.95 miles per standard month I drove from November to early January.

Back then, I used the excuse of volunteering for the election, canvassing for candidates and dropping off lawn signs, along with my normal driving to meetings and classes.  I'm not doing election work now, other than going to the county Democratic convention, so it must be the errands I'm running in addition to my driving to work.  Because my wife's car has added less than 300 miles since the last update (I'm still on track to post another update on Pearl before I write one for Dez), it's probably the errands.

I expect my mileage will be less at the next update, as I'll be off the last week of February/first week of March and not driving to work.  In addition, the weather is warming up, with near record temperatures beginning today and continuing through the week, as WXYZ reports in WARMTH STARTS TOMORROW.


That's the kind of weather that will induce me to walk some of those errands instead of driving them, which is better for both the planet's health and mine.

Stay tuned for the Sunday entertainment feature.  Right now, I'm planning on writing about the Writers Guild of America Awards nominees.  The winners will be presented on Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. It turns out that Pearl passed 25,000 miles exactly 365 days before it passed 32,000 miles, so I drove the car 7,000 miles in one year. That's almost twice as much as I drove Yuki in Royal Oak four years ago. Good thing Pearl is a Prius, or I'd feel a lot more guilty about my increased driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to get back to taking the bus more. The weather is getting nice anyway. In May I turn 60 and the bus rate will drop to 50 cents a ride. Hard to beat a deal like that. It's 6 miles from my house to the library and the bus goes right by it. Half a buck for 6 miles!

    ReplyDelete