Saturday, November 25, 2017

Eat local with Michigan's best local pizza on Small Business Saturday 2017


Happy Small Business Saturday!  I'm observing today in two parts.

First, I'm following up on 'Shop Small' on Small Business Saturday 2016, when I wished that "I hope Trump finds someone at least half as competent to take her position.  As competent?  Sorry, I'm too realistic."  Trump managed to meet my expectations by appointing Linda McMahon, former President and CEO of the WWE and two-time Republican nominee for U.S. Senate as Director of the Small Business Adminstration.  Here she is, delivering the Small Business Saturday PSA 2017.


Second, I'm examining a very thin slice of the "Eat local" part of today by looking at Michigan's best local pizza.  I begin with MLive's Top 5 Pizzas in Michigan.

The Michigan's Best team presents the top 5 pizzerias in the state.
MLive listed more top pizza places in Michigan's Best pizza: our 12 top choices revealed and Each Michigan's Best pizza nominee is special and here's why.  Follow over the jump for WXYZ reporting on three of them in Metro Detroit.

The sixth place pizza place on MLive's top 12 list was Buddy's Pizza, a local chain that originated the rectangular deep-dish Detroit pizza.  Last year, WXYZ reported Buddy's Pizza celebrating it's (sic) 70th anniversary by giving back to customers.


The Farmington Hills location on Northwestern Highway is the one my wife and I order from.  That's local, even if Buddy's isn't all that small with 11 locations and 700 employees.  Also, using auto parts trays as baking pans both explains why the pizzas are rectangular and deep-dish and is a very Motor City thing to do.

Loui's Pizza in Hazel Park came in eighth on MLive's top 12 list.  WXYZ also reported on the store three years ago in Finding Detroit's best deep dish pizza.


Finally, one of the pizzarias that was nominated but didn't make the MLive top 12 earned an even more prestigious honor, as WXYZ reported Tomatoes Apizza named Best Pizza by Food Network.

Tomatoes Apizza in Farmington Hills named Best Pizza in Michigan by Food Network Magazine.
This is the other local pizza place for my wife and I.  One of the two locations is close enough for me to walk to.  In contrast to Buddy's and Loui's, this is New York style thin crust pizza and it is indeed very good.  Try the crab pizza; I'm not kidding about it.

Other Metro Detroit pizza restaurants nomined were Pizza Papalis, Tania's, Green Lantern, and Supino Pizza.  When we lived in Royal Oak, my wife and I would order wings from Green Lantern, but never the pizza, as we could walk to another pizza place.  Also, there is a Pizza Papalis close to where I work.  As for Tania's and Supino Pizza, I'm sorry to have missed them while I could still eat a lot of pizza.

That's it for this year's Small Business Saturday.  Remember, eat local and eat small.

No comments:

Post a Comment