Thursday, July 28, 2011

What motivates Americans to act

I figured out something a while ago and posted it in a comment to a Huffington Post article on Dancing with the Stars. “America is quite clear about its screwed up priorities­. My experience has convinced me that the surest way to get Americans to act is to mess with their entertainm­ent." Google says my insight wasn't original. In a letter preserved in a blog post copy of a Paul Krugman New York Times article,# Paul Box, Alice Springs, Australia observed, "Mess with people's health care or retirement and they get fatalistic. Mess with their entertainment or Internet access, and you've got war!"

In other words, someone is going to have to mess with the circuses of "bread and circuses" to arouse Americans. Who knows. That might actually happen.

*That was in 2007. I swear that I never saw it before and came up with my opinion independently. Second!

No comments:

Post a Comment