Sunday, March 27, 2016

A drum corps 'Superstar' for Easter


Happy Easter!  I marked the holiday on this blog last year with Easter drinks from Tipsy Bartender, so it's time to use my other default angle when celebrating a holiday, drum corps.  Fortunately, drum corps has given me plenty of material in the form of corps playing Jesus Christ Superstar.  Traveling back in time to the 1970s, I begin with The Cadets from 1977 playing "I Don't Know How to Love Him."

From rule-bending vocals to soprano bugle playing color guard members, the Garfield Cadets' 1977 production featured a number of trail blazing programming choices for the time period.
Moving up a decade, the 1985 Geneseo Knights perform "Superstar."

1985 Geneseo Knights - Semifinals 19th Place
That is not the definitive drum corps performance of the song.  That honor goes to the 1999 Madison Scouts.



There are other versions, particularly the 1971 Argonne Rebels, but I'll save them for next year.  Besides, the Madison Scouts will play selections from the musical this coming summer.  Stay tuned, both for that and for the rest of the posts I promised in Trump vs. Sanders, the top post of the fifth year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News.  In particular, I expect a changing of the guard at the box office as "Batman vs. Superman: The Dawn of Justice" should topple "Zootopia."

No comments:

Post a Comment