Thursday, October 27, 2016

Trump's star on Hollywood Walk of Fame demolished


Yesterday, Booman Tribune passed along a report from Deadline Hollywood that Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame had been destroyed by a man with a pick-axe.  It was the latest of a series of defacements of the sidewalk monument since Trump began running for President.  In the spirit of a picture being worth 1000 words, and moving pictures being worth even more than that, I'm sharing CNN's video report of the incident: Trump's Hollywood star destroyed.

Los Angeles police are looking for the man who destroyed Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star with a sledgehammer and a pickaxe.
ODN has reaction and follow-up in Destroyed: Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame Star.

Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame Star destroyed by vandals...Report by Lydia Batham.
While this is certainly an escalation and a direct insult to Trump, I don't consider it to be a Weimar Moment.  That would involve violence between groups of Trump supporters and Trump opponents, such as in Chicago and San Jose.  This isn't violence against people; it's just highly visible vandalism.  In that way, "Jamie Otis" (probably not his real name) is behaving like the Earth Liberation Front.  They primarily targeted property, too.  Just the same, I didn't approve of the ELF's tactics then and I don't approve of this action now.  Don't trash symbols of the opposition--vote!

2 comments:

  1. I would have been satisfied with simply pissing on it. Pick axing it seems a little extreme. What would Ghandi do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, although I wouldn't have urinated on it in public. Dumping dog poop on it would be more my style and I wouldn't be alone in doing so. When I looked for images to illustrate this article, I found some where people had done exactly that. As for what Gandhi would do, I don't know, but it's a very good question.

      Delete