Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Trump does not recognize climate change as a national security threat


Once again, reality has intruded into my search for a good fantasy.  This time, it's something bigger than Trump declares the downsizing of two national monuments in Utah, but in the same anti-environmental vein.  Instead, it's the logical consequence of Trump pulling the U.S. out of the Paris Climate Accord.  Newsy has the story in Trump says climate change not a security threat.

Some say President Donald Trump's recent decision is part of his effort to nix Obama-era climate change rules that Trump says hurt the U.S. economy.
In response, it's time to be a good environmentalist and recycle what I wrote more than six years ago.
[E]conomy is dependent on society, which is in turn dependent on the environment.  Without an environment, there is no society.  Without a society, there is no economy.  Those relationships put sustainability into perspective.  They also show that the emphasis on economy above all is exactly backwards.  No wonder we're in trouble.
This is a lesson I wish Trump would learn, but he hasn't and almost certainly never will, which means we will continue to be in trouble.  I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm with Iago from "Aladdin" on this one.


Sigh.  No wonder I'm looking for a good fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment