Thursday, July 11, 2019

I finally celebrate World Population Day on time for its 30th anniversary by looking at China's two-child policy


Happy World Population Day!  What I predicted last year, when I wrote "one of these days, I will celebrate it on time," has come to pass.  For my timely observance, I'm sharing the description of the international day from National Day Calendar, something else I've been waiting to see.
World Population Day on July 11th focuses on balancing a healthy human race and planet.

The pace of population growth places reproductive rights and gender equality at the forefront of sustainability concerns. As the population grows, the demand for resources increases as well. While areas of the world enjoy open spaces and room to move, others are overcrowded.

In 1987, the world’s population was estimated at 5 billion. By 2100, the population is estimated to be 11.5 billion. Growing population places stress on economies as well as infrastructure. Issues that were once minor become climatic. Other areas of concern include healthcare, housing, education, logistics, and nutrition.

While local communities address some concerns, nations join forces to address others on a global scale. The day provides a platform for goals and a way to strive to meet those goals.
...
In 1987, the Day of Five Billion recognized the global population of the world. It caught the attention of the United Nations and in 1989 they established the United Nations Development Programme. In 1994, during the International Conference on Population and Development, governments and UN agencies set forth goals. The goals included to provide universal education, reduce infant and child mortality, reduce maternal mortality and provide greater access to health and reproductive services.
I was looking for news clips on YouTube about today, but it seems nearly every one is from India, Pakistan, or Nigeria.  The only one I could find that could claim any affiliation was from CGTN America, "the American arm of the English language China Global Television Network."  Sigh, Chinese state TV.*  Still, I found nothing about it that I would object to and a lot that I would agree with, so I'm sharing Dave Gardner discusses World Population Day.

For more on World Population Day and the impacts of a growing population around the world, CGTN's Asieh Namdar spoke with Dave Gardner, executive director of World Population Balance.
This segment was in the middle of two clips about China's two-child policy, which replaced the one-child policy four years ago.  At the risk of spreading propaganda, I'm presenting both, beginning with Youqin Huang discusses effects of China's two-child policy.

CGTN's Elaine Reyes spoke with Youqin Huang, professor of the Department of Geography and Planning, about China's two-child policy.
Actually, that wasn't bad.  I think everything Professor Huang said was reasonable.  I would have no problem showing it to my students.

Next, New births still down in China, after implementation of two-child policy.

Three and a half year[s] into China’s two-child policy, many families are happily welcoming second-borns into the world. But all-in-all, new births are down nationwide.
Not only do I have no objection to this clip, I think I will show it to my students on Monday, when I lecture about China's population policy.  Perfect timing!

Follow over the jump for the footnote and a bonus video from Tipsy Bartender.

Since today is also still National Mojito Day, I'm going to share another recipe from Tipsy Bartender, the Mandarin Mojito.


Drink responsibly!

*I quit sharing videos from Russia Today as RT America and Ruptly about five years ago for this reason.  On the other hand, I don't have any problems with the BBC, DW, or even VOA, which is what passes for U.S. state broadcasting, snide remarks about Fox News not withstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment