Wednesday, November 6, 2019

CBS News and Jesus Jones on the fall of the Berlin Wall 30 years later


I had a change of plans today.  Instead of posting election results today, as I thought I would yesterday, I'm sharing two videos about the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War.  First, CBS News Radio series recounts the fall of the Berlin Wall 30 years later.

A new 5-part CBS News Radio series called "Tearing Down the Wall" recounts the moments leading up to and following the fall of the Berlin Wall nearly 30 years ago. CBS News Radio correspondent Budd Mishkin joined CBSN to discuss his reporting and how the country is fighting to preserve what's left of the wall.
I was amazed to watch the wall start to come down live on CNN in 1989.  I honestly thought I might not live to see that day, yet it happened half my life ago.  The Cold War was over and the West won!  That was the end of a decade of worrying about nuclear war between the superpowers.  Not only was it a victory, it was a relief.

Words cannot really express how I felt at the time, but music can.  Watch and listen to Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now (Official Music Video), which I think best sums up my thoughts and feelings about the event, even decades later.

The original video for RHRN, with an introduction from the wonderful Annie Nightingale, onstage in Romania. Taken from the Jesus Jones longform, Big in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment