Saturday, March 4, 2023

Which year did Madison Scouts perform 'Rhapsody in Blue' best plus the 2023 Rose Parade bands for Marching Music Day

Happy Marching Music Day! March Forth! As I did last year, I open today's post with Drum Corps International asking a musical question, Who Did It Best? | Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" – Madison Scouts Edition.

The George Gershwin classic, "Rhapsody in Blue" performed by the Madison Scouts five different times over 35 years. Who did it best?
I'd say 1975's corps marched it best, while 1985's corps played it best. I have a special fondness for 1975, as that was the year I was introduced to drum corps and the Madison Scouts won DCI that year.

Other corps have played "Rhapsody in Blue" but they'll have to wait for another compilation. Maybe next year.

I conclude with Music213's Marching Bands of the 2023 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade.

Recap of the 20 marching bands from the 134th Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade on Monday, January 2, 2023.
Last year, I wrote "Here's to the Russian invasion of Ukraine not spiraling out of control to prevent next year's parade from happening." Well, we made it another year. Here's to being able to celebrate New Year's Day and Marching Music Day again in 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment