Monday, February 28, 2022

'SNL' examines the Russian invasion of Ukraine

I concluded CNBC explores 'Why The Future Of The Oscars And Emmys Might Be In Jeopardy' by telling my readers to "stay tuned for an entry on Russian invasion of Ukraine for the final post of the month." I'm letting "Saturday Night Live" do the reporting and commenting today, beginning with Weekend Update: Russia Invades Ukraine, Biden Nominates Ketanji Brown Jackson.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like Russia invading Ukraine.
Michael Che was right. This is a tough subject to make jokes about, but comedy exists because laughing hurts less than crying. I'm glad "SNL" tried. I'll examine the war and its effects more next month, both through comedy and serious news.

To close today's entry, I'm going back to the beginning of the show with Ukraine Cold Open.

Ukrainian Chorus Dumka of New York performs Prayer for Ukraine.
For my reaction, I'm quoting Michael W's comment: "Rather than just offer words of support from celebrities, I'm so glad SNL chose to instead step aside and give Ukrainians a platform. This was a genuinely moving gesture. Well done SNL." I couldn't have said it better myself.

So ends February's blogging. As I wrote above, I'll examine the war in Ukraine next month after Paczki Day AKA Fat Tuesday tomorrow. I love holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment