Sunday, July 30, 2023

'Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie' leads nominees for Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special at the Emmy Awards


"Stay tuned for an examination of the documentary and nonfiction specials tomorrow for the Sunday entertainment feature." That's what I told my readers at the conclusion of 'Super/Natural,' 'Wildcat,' and other nature nominees at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards for International Tiger Day yesterday and that's what I'm doing today. Without any further ado, here are the nominees for Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special nominees at the 2023 Creative Arts Emmy Awards.
Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special (Area)
Being Mary Tyler Moore (HBO)
Judy Blume Forever (Prime Video)
My Transparent Life (Prime Video)
Pamela, A Love Story (Netflix)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie (Apple TV+)
First, the theme: All of these are biographies, even My Transparent Life, the only one that is not about a public figure. The rest are about people important in pop culture and three of them tell the stories of television stars. If the Television Academy had nominated Moonage Daydream instead of My Transparent Life, then the entertainment biography motif would have been complete. Next, the numbers: Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie leads this field with seven nominations, followed by Pamela, A Love Story and Judy Blume Forever with two each, and Being Mary Tyler Moore and My Transparent Life with one each. I'm embedding the trailers for the nominees in that order, beginning with STILL: A Michael J. Fox Movie — Official Trailer | Apple TV+.

Michael J. Fox is going back to his past and rewriting his future. Still is now streaming on Apple TV+
...
The film, which will incorporate documentary, archival and scripted elements, will recount Fox’s extraordinary story in his own words — the improbable tale of an undersized kid from a Canadian army base who rose to the heights of stardom in 1980s Hollywood. The account of Fox’s public life, full of nostalgic thrills and cinematic gloss, will unspool alongside his never-before-seen private journey, including the years that followed his diagnosis, at 29, with Parkinson’s disease. Intimate and honest, and produced with unprecedented access to Fox and his family, the film will chronicle Fox’s personal and professional triumphs and travails and will explore what happens when an incurable optimist confronts an incurable disease. With a mix of adventure and romance, comedy and drama, watching the film will feel like … well, like a Michael J. Fox movie.

Song: "More Than a Feeling" by Boston
"The sad sack story is Micheal J. Fox gets this debilitating disease and it crushes him." "Yeah, that's boring." Well, this trailer was anything but boring and if it's an accurate depiction of the show, then it won't be boring, either.

Next, Pamela, a love story | Official Trailer | Netflix.

Pamela Anderson defined a decade. Now she will define herself.
...
In her own words, through personal video and diaries, Pamela Anderson shares the story of her rise to fame, rocky romances and infamous sex tape scandal.
This documentary is very much a reaction to Pam & Tommy. I hope it works for Anderson.

Continuing on with Judy Blume Forever - Official Trailer | Prime Video.

The radical honesty of the books by trailblazing author Judy Blume changed the way millions of adolescent readers understood themselves, their sexuality, and what it meant to grow up, but also led to critical battles against book banning and censorship.

With humor, sensitivity, and a healthy dose of adolescent cringe, JUDY BLUME FOREVER tells the story of the woman whose trail-blazing books changed the way millions of readers understand themselves, their sexuality, and what it means to grow up.
This clip shows how influential Judy Blume is and why she's an important subject of a documentary. I wouldn't be surprised if she earns Most Compelling Living Subject of a Documentary at this fall's Critics Choice Documentary Awards. While most people think of Blume as an author, she has an IMDB page, so she fits in with Michael J. Fox, Pamela Anderson, and Mary Tyler Moore, the subject of Being Mary Tyler Moore | Official Trailer | HBO.

Being Mary Tyler Moore, an HBO Original documentary, examines the extraordinary life, career, and legacy of the actress and activist. Directed by James Adolphus with Lena Waithe and Debra Martin Chase as producers, Being Mary Tyler Moore premieres May 26 on HBO and Max.
I have one word for David Susskind after watching that clip of him interviewing Moore — oink! I'm glad Moore handled him as well as she did.

I couldn't find a trailer on YouTube for My Transparent Life, but I did find My Transparent Life Premiere from The Hollywood Gazette.

The Hollywood Gazette interviews the cast and crew of My Transparent Life at the premiere in Westwood, CA on October 4th 2022.
On the one hand, I find it a bit odd that Prime Video doesn't have a trailer for this show. That bodes poorly for its awards prospects. On the other, if The Hollywood Gazette ever uploaded more videos, I might just subscribe to the channel.

Both the number of nominations and the experts at Gold Derby agree; Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie is the favorite. Every expert is picking it to win and so am I.

Follow over the jump for the rest of the categories that include documentary or nonfiction special nominees.

I resume the post with a category I mentioned in The music of 'Prehistoric Planet 2' earned the series its first Emmy nomination.

Outstanding Music Composition for a Documentary Series or Special (Original Dramatic Score)
Eva Longoria: Searching for Mexico: "Veracruz" – Tony Morales (CNN)
Light & Magic: "Gang of Outsiders" – James Newton Howard (Disney+)
Pamela, A Love Story – Blake Neely (Netflix)
Prehistoric Planet: "Badlands" – Hans Zimmer, Anže Rozman, and Kara Talve (Apple TV+)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie – John Powell (Apple TV+)
I'm rooting for Hans Zimmer, Anže Rozman, and Kara Talve to win for Prehistoric Planet, but that doesn't mean it will win. John Powell could take home the Emmy as part of a sweep for Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie, for example. I might revisit this category after I listen to the nominees for an entry dedicated to nominated music. Right now, I'm embedding Becoming Michael J. Fox.


That's lively, original, and fits the subject of the documentary, but I'll wait to hear the rest of the nominees before making my final judgment.

Now for the rest of the categories that I covered in '100 Foot Wave' has the most nominations but experts think 'The U.S. and the Holocaust' and 'The 1619 Project' have best chances to win Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series at the Emmy Awards.

Outstanding Directing for a Documentary/Nonfiction Program
Judy Blume Forever – Davina Pardo and Leah Wolchok (Prime Video)
Moonage Daydream – Brett Morgen (HBO)
Pretty Baby: Brooke Shields – Lana Wilson (Hulu)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie – Davis Guggenheim (Apple TV+)
The Territory – Alex Pritz (Nat Geo)
The U.S. and the Holocaust: "Episode 3: The Homeless, The Tempest-tossed (1942–)" – Ken Burns, Lynn Novick, and Sarah Botstein (PBS)
And now my recycled reaction to this field.
I am far less confident about "The Territory" winning this category, as Pritz is competing against the legendary Ken Burns and four films about entertainment, including two about Hollywood stars. All else being equal, I expect the Emmy voters will vote for one of those last two or "Moonage Daydream." As I keep repeating about awards shows, electorates matter. "The Territory" had better hope that all other things are not equal.
While I used the Twitter image promoting Moonage Daydream to introduce this category, I'm not convinced it will win. Again, I suspect Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie could earn a lot of awards, including this one.

That written, Moonage Daydream is the second most nominated documentary at these awards with five nominations. It's my pick for snub in the documentary or nonfiction special program category. To make up for not locating a trailer for My Transparent Life, I'm sharing Moonage Daydream | Official Trailer | HBO.

A cinematic odyssey exploring David Bowie's creative, spiritual, and musical journey, #MoonageDaydream premieres April 29 on HBO Max. Directed by Brett Morgen. #davidbowie
That looks really trippy. It also looks like it could have received more votes than My Transparent Life had it been nominated for the program category instead, although it probably wouldn't beat Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie.

Outstanding Cinematography for a Nonfiction Program
100 Foot Wave: "Chapter VI - Force Majeure" - Antoine Chicoye, Mikey Corker, Vincent Kardasik, Alexandre Lesbats, Chris Smith, Laurent Pujol, João Vidinha, and Michael Darrigade (HBO)
Secrets of the Elephants: "Desert" - Toby Strong, James Boon, and Bob Poole (Nat Geo)
The 1619 Project: "Justice" - Jerry Henry (Hulu)
Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy: "Calabria" - Andrew Muggleton (CNN)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie - C. Kim Miles, Clair Popkin, and Julia Liu (Apple TV+)
The Territory - Alex Pritz and Tangãi Uru-eu-wau-wa (Nat Geo)
I begin my analysis by recycling what I wrote in 'The Territory' leads nominees for Exceptional Merit In Documentary Filmmaking at the 2023 Emmy Awards and quoted in 'Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy' defends its Emmy for Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special.
Oh, look, more nominees with nature photography! That makes me happy. It only marginally helps "The Territory," as it's competing against "100 Foot Wave" and "Secrets Of The Elephants" for wild landscapes, seascapes, and animals and "Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy" for human landscapes and cityscapes. All of the nominees in this and the previous category have other nominations, so I'll examine their chances in the next two installments. Stay tuned.
I'm adding that this category includes the Gold Derby experts' favorites to win Exceptional Merit In Documentary Filmmaking, Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special, Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series, and Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special, plus two series with outstanding outdoor and nature photography. That makes for a very competitive category. The Territory has both great nature photography and the experts' support to win its program category, so it's currently my pick to win. However, 100 Foot Wave won this category last year, so I'm not that confident in my choice. I will look at this category twice more, so stay tuned to see if I change my mind.
I'm starting to waver, thinking that 100 Foot Wave has a better chance than I gave it credit for earlier this week.
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie is the one documentary or nonfiction special nominated in this category. It might win as part of a sweep, but I still think it's between 100 Foot Wave and The Territory.

Outstanding Writing for a Nonfiction Program
Dear Mama: "Panther Power" – Allen Hughes and Lasse Järvi (FX)
Moonage Daydream – Brett Morgen (HBO)
100 Foot Wave: "Chapter V – Lost at Sea" – Zach Rothfeld (HBO)
Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me – Alek Keshishian and Paul Marchand (Apple TV+)
The U.S. and the Holocaust: "Episode 2: Yearning to Breathe Free (1938–1942)" – Geoffrey C. Ward (PBS)
Three of the nominees for Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series also have nominees here, but they are competing against Moonage Daydream, which has five nominations, and Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me, which has only this one. I'm holding off making a prediction until I examine the documentary and nonfiction specials, most likely on Sunday.
Based on my intuition, I feel that The U.S. and the Holocaust is likely to win.
Outstanding Sound Editing for a Nonfiction or Reality Program (Single or Multi-Camera)
Love, Lizzo – Vanessa Flores and Jessie Brewer (HBO Max)
Moonage Daydream – John Warhurst, Nina Hartstone, Jens Rosenlund Petersen, Samir Foco, James Shirley, Elliott Koretz, Amy Felton, Louise Burton, and Brett Morgen (HBO)
100 Foot Wave: "Chapter V – Lost at Sea" – Max Holland, Eric Di Stefano, and Kevin Senzaki (HBO)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie
– Michael Feuser, Rich Bologna, Wyatt Sprague, Heather Gross, and Bill Bernstein (Apple TV+)
Welcome to Wrexham
: "Do or Die" – Will Harp, Jon Schell, and Shaun Cromwell (FX)
I think that music nominees have the edge in sound categories, all other things being equal, so I think Moonage Daydream is favored, followed by Love, Lizzo. Speaking of sound, it's time to review what I wrote about the other sound category in 'Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy' defends its Emmy for Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special.
Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Nonfiction Program (Single or Multi-Camera)
Moonage Daydream – Paul Massey and David Giammarco (HBO)
100 Foot Wave: "Chapter V – Lost at Sea" – Keith Hodne (HBO)
The Sound of 007 – Richard Davey, Jonny Horne, Simon Norman, and Francesco Corazzi (Prime Video)
Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy: "Calabria" – Matt Skilton and Christopher Syner (CNN)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie – Skip Lievsay, Benjamin Berger, Martin Kittappa, and Lily van Leeuwen (Apple TV+)
As I have written before, I think that music nominees have the best chances, all things being equal, so that gives the advantage to Moonage Daydream and The Sound of 007. As a James Bond fan, I'm rooting for The Sound of 007, but I really think Moonage Daydream is the most likely to win.
I still think both categories are Moonage Daydream's to lose.

Outstanding Picture Editing for a Nonfiction Program
Moonage Daydream – Brett Morgen (HBO)
100 Foot Wave: "Chapter III – Jaws" – Alex Bayer, Alex Keipper, and Quin O'Brien (HBO)
Pretty Baby: Brooke Shields – David Teague, Sara Newens, and Anne Yao (Hulu)
The 1619 Project: "Justice" – Ephraim Kirkwood, Jesse Allain-Marcus, and Adriana Pacheco (Hulu)
Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy: "Calabria" – Liz Roe (CNN)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie – Michael Harte (Apple TV+)
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie has the most nominations, which helps make it the Gold Derby experts' number one choice, but I don't know if that means much in this category. Any of the other nominees, including Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy, could win. Again, I'm examining this category twice more, so I'll make my decision then.
100 Foot Wave and The 1619 Project both have nominations, but I'm wondering if an archival documentary like Moonage Daydream has a better chance.
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie also has a lot of archival footage among the contemporary interviews and reenactments, so I'm more optimistic about it winning that I was before, especially if there is a sweep.

That concludes my examination of long-form nonfiction nominees at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards. I will get to the short form nonfiction nominees when I write about all the short form categories. That probably won't be tomorrow. I'm feeling like examining Good Night Oppy's nominations at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards instead. Stay tuned.

Previous posts about the 2023 Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment