Thursday, July 6, 2023

Three hottest days on record this week and it's only Thursday

Climate change is back in the news as France 24 English reported Hottest days on Earth: Third straight day of record-breaking highs across planet this morning.

The last three days marked the hottest days the world has seen -- at least since official record taking began 44 years ago. Scientists though say they were likely the hottest days in centuries and that the record could be broken several more times this year. FRANCE 24's Andrew Hilliar explains.
Chris Hayes on MSNBC reported World records its hottest days ever this week on the first and second days' record average global temperatures last night.

Chris Hayes on the rise of the global temperature: "It's like going from a normal, 98.6 degree body temperature to spiking a 101.3 degree fever. At 101.3 degrees, you are pretty sick—and that metaphor is almost literal because the human body really struggles in high heat."
Bill McKibben's statement that these are the hottest days "since sometime during the last interglacial period 125,000 years ago" reminds me of what I wrote last year: "It's bad enough that we're on track for Pliocene temperatures at current rates of warming." The Sangamonian (in North America) and Eemian (in Europe) would be the first milestones on a temperature journey to 3.6 million years ago, a trip I hope we don't complete.

Speaking of milestones, I'm embedding a tweet from the Keeling Curve Twitter account showing a new atmospheric carbon dioxide record. Welcome to the 400 ppm world.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to Infidel753 for linking to me in Link round-up for 9 July 2023 at his blog and welcome to all of you who came here from that link! Also, welcome to all my Singaporean, Canadian, Dutch, French (welcome back — my page views missed you!), Israeli, German, and other international readers. I appreciate all of you, especially my Singaporean readers, who contributed nearly 5,000 page views this week, more than half as many as my American readers! Wow!

    Also, I reported that the world has now had its *four* hottest days ever this week in PBS NewsHour reports 'Record-breaking global temperature, raging wildfires highlight effects of climate change' plus Thursday broke another record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four! Global warming is getting so bad it's difficult to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so bad that I checked to see if the average global temperature records were broken on Friday and Saturday for a fifth or even sixth time. The closest I could find was Mother Jones asking Did Planet Earth Just Have its Hottest-Ever Week? The answer seems to be yes: "Until last week, no single day over the Climate Reanalyzer’s 44 years of records has had an average temperature higher than 62.6 degrees Fahrenheit. But the the seven-day stretch ending Thursday averaged that much."

      Delete
    2. Blogger got a little overzealous and marked my last comment as spam, so I approved it. May that serve as a reminder to check my comments for false positives!

      Delete