Tuesday, July 18, 2023

CNBC on Detroit's bankruptcy, ten years later

Detroit filed for bankruptcy ten years ago today. I'm observing this anniversary by sharing CNBC explaining Why Detroit Is Tearing Down A Highway, although it's really about the title on the preview image, "Detroit's rise, fall, and future." The plans to remove I-375 are an attention-grabbing MacGuffin.

The city of Detroit is bouncing back from its legendary 2013 bankruptcy filing. Depopulation driven by the rise of global trade threw the city into insolvency. Since then, Detroit has imposed high property tax rates citywide while awarding abatements to commercial-scale developers. The tax, spending and placemaking policies in Detroit have drawn investors to the city in force, raising the local skyline alongside concerns about gentrification and displacement among the locals.
I haven't written much about these topics since I mentioned that Detroit exited bankruptcy in Headlines for 12/10/14 give me a to do list; that's about the time I moved from a local to a national and global focus on this blog. Watching the video reminded me of why I started writing this blog. It's good to get back to its roots, even if I don't stay here for long.

Speaking of which, stay tuned for National Daiquiri Day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment