Sunday, December 2, 2012

Examiner.com article on 2012 AAAS Fellows

NaBloPoMo December 2012


In yesterday's Nablopomo post, I mentioned that all one has to do to see my entries about work was to look at the ones labeled with Examiner.com, among others.  The day before yesterday, I also wrote that I'd have more to say about my experiences with Examiner.com this month.  It's time to follow through with both promises with my first post since August as the Detroit Science News Examiner.  Election's over; time to write about science!

University of Michigan leads 2012 AAAS Fellows with nineteen
Nineteen University of Michigan faculty members have been elected AAAS Fellows for 2012, the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) announced Friday.  This is  the most of any institution in the United States, the Columbus Dispatch confirmed a day in advance of the AAAS announcement.

The Columbus Dispatch also reported that The Ohio State University came in second with 18 new AAAS Fellows, followed by the University of California, Davis, and Vanderbilt University, which tied for third with 17 each.

The AAAS also recognized faculty at Michigan's two other major research universities.  Michigan State University gained four new Fellows, while Wayne State University now has three more, for a total of 26 new AAAS Fellows from the Great Lakes State.

In all, the names of 701 AAAS Fellows were released yesterday.  They are being honored for their efforts toward advancing science applications that are deemed to be distinguised either scientifically or socially.  They will be recognized for their contributions to science and technology at the Fellows Forum to be held on February 16, 2013 during the AAAS Annual Meeting in Boston, Massachusetts.
In case you're wondering, the professor whose photograph I used to illustrate my article was the only one I knew.  In fact, the term paper I wrote for his class eventually became the basis for my Ph.D. dissertation.  I consider singling him out among all the nineteen scientists to be a delayed thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment