Saturday, December 1, 2012

Nablopomo for December: Work

NaBloPoMo December 2012


What's this month's theme?
WORK.


December kicks off a new addition to the BlogHer conference family -- BlogHer PRO -- and what better way to celebrate it than to consider how work fits into each of our lives?

More and more, the work we do isn't falling into clear-cut, 9-to-5 boundaries. Some work is unpaid but moves us closer to our overall goal. Some work doesn't feel like work at all because it's so much fun.

And, of course, we'll need to spend the month daydreaming your ideal work to make sure you're doing the work you really want to do (and if you're not, maybe January will be a time to start down a new path!).
...
So start thinking about what feels like work and what feels like play. And join us on the BlogHer.com homepage and on Facebook, where we'll be talking about work and sharing career tips daily through midmonth!
This should be easy.  I blog about my work a lot; all one has to do is look at the entries with the tags stories I tell my students, Oakland Community College, and Examiner.com, as well as real life and education.  Look for more of those this month.

Also, I blog about other people's work all the time.  I use the fruits of their labor whenever I quote an article, press release, or blog post.  Speaking of which, I should start quoting The Hipcrime Vocab, Early Warning, and Calculated Risk more often.  The first is very interested in the nature of work (escapefromwisconsin is of the opinion that the 9 to 5 job is both an anomaly and a trap).  The second is interested in the prospects for work (Stuart Saniford thinks that widespread employment is in danger from automation).  The third is just a great source of information about the economy, including employment.  Should I write a sustainability textbook, I'd use Bill McBride's graphs to illustrate it.  Paul Krugman has even more lavish praise.
CR is an example of the sort of economic reporting and analysis people would be following if they really wanted to know what was happening, rather than “reporting” that reinforces their prejudices. (But enter CR’s comment threads at your own risk — the usual suspects show up in force). CR’s analysis, more than anyone else’s, gave me a heads-up on the housing bubble, and has helped me along the way on many other issues.
Oh, yes, I should be quoting Krugman more, too.  Looks like I have my work cut out for me for this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment