Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Detroit's version of hanging chads

I interrupt the Student sustainability video festival to bring this news about the final topic I promised to write about in I know, let's blame the aliens!  I was wondering how I could present a two-week-old election in an entertaining way, but reality has done the job for me.  The ballots for the primary election were not certified.  WXYZ has the story in Board of Canvassers won't certify election.


The Wayne County Board of Canvassers will not certify the Detroit Mayoral  Primary results because of problems with the count.
That was the 5PM report from last night, which I included simply because of the "hanging chads for Detroit" comment.  It was too good to pass up.  Smitha Kalokhe and company had more to say during the 6 PM newscast in Detroit mayoral race results in limbo.


As you can see, they got lots of reaction shots from Duggan and others.

I'm still in the middle of grading, so I can't spare the time for extensive analysis.  Fortunately, WXYZ had Wayne State University professor and former and likely future Democratic nominee for Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson on to explain what all this means in 20,000 votes for Mike Duggan in jeopardy.


I wonder what Benson would do if she were Secretary of State?  Probably certify the contested ballots since she's all about protecting the right to vote.

I will make two observations on all this before I return to grading.  First, this appears to have been the result of poor training of the poll workers.  Second, as I've written before, I was right about this election being great entertainment.  Pass the popcorn.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Prof Benson is certainly Camera Ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is, which, along with her competence, is why the Democrats nominated her in 2010 and will likely nominate her again next year. It helps that she had the highest vote totals of any Democratic candidate for statewide office, outpolling even the candidate for Governor.

      Delete