Monday, February 24, 2014

Examiner.com article on Dingell retirement

U.S. Rep. John Dingell (D-MI), 87, the longest serving member of Congress in U.S. history, gives a 'thumbs up' before announcing his retirement at a luncheon February 24, 2014 in Southgate, Michigan.
Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images
Longest-serving U.S. Representative John Dingell announces retirement
This morning, both the Detroit Free Press and the Detroit News reported that U.S. Representative John Dingell will not seek re-election for a record-breaking 30th full term.  Dingell is already the longest-serving member of Congress, having been first elected in 1955.

Dingell, who represents Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and surrounding areas of Washtenaw County as part of Michigan’s 12th Congressional District, announced his decision in a statement containing the text of his annual “State of the District” speech that he gave to the Southern Wayne County Regional Chamber of Commerce at noon.

“Around this time every two years, my wife Deborah and I confer on the question of whether I will seek reelection. My standards are high for this job. I put myself to the test and have always known that when the time came that I felt I could not live up to my own personal standard for a Member of Congress, it would be time to step aside for someone else to represent this district.

“That time has come.”
Reasons for the retirement and testimonials from Michigan Democratic Party Chair Lon Johnson, U.S. Representative Tim Walberg, and President Barack Obama along with a video on the story from the Associated Press at the link.

Dingell’s retirement has made my position as Washtenaw County Elections Examiner a lot more interesting.  I’m now covering an open Congressional seat for the first time since I started reporting for Examiner.com.

Also, stay tuned.  I’m planning on writing an article on the likely candidates to succeed Dingell tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment