Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lunar eclipse not visible in Michigan tonight


The lunar eclipse happening tonight that was mentioned in Ocean on Enceladus, opposition of Mars, and other space and astronomy stories for the week of April Fools will not be visible here.  Instead, it's snowing.  The Weather Channel brings the bad news in Will You See the Lunar Eclipse?

Meteorologist Jonathan Erdman discusses who will be able to see the Blood Moon Lunar Eclipse.
So no "Blood Moon" tonight.  The next question becomes "will there be enough snow to break the record for Detroit?"  The answer is maybe.  The latest prediction from NOAA states "Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible."  Only 1.9 inches is needed to set a new record for snowfall for the season, and that's right in the middle of the range.  Honestly, I'm rooting for that to happen.  First, it means that I won't feel like I should be wearing a T-shirt that reads "I survived this terrible winter and all I got was second place."  Second, it also means that I'll be inspired to write another article for Examiner.com.  The ones that I wrote about snowfall records got a lot of page views and Facebook likes.  That was good for both my pocketbook and my ego.  Finally, it will make going from spring back to winter, if only for a few days, worth it.  It was so warm Sunday that I worked in the yard in my shorts.  Of course, I should be used to wild weather like this.  Welcome to Michigan!  If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes.  It will change.  If you do like the weather, too bad; it will still change.

No comments:

Post a Comment