Sunday, October 18, 2020

'SNL' presents its own version of the dueling town halls plus Weekend Update's take on the week's news

While there was no actual presidential debate this week, ABC and NBC managed to create the next best thing by broadcasting simultaneous town halls with former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump, respectively. So, just as I did for the first presidential debate and the vice-presidential debate, I'm sharing Saturday Night Live's take on the event, Dueling Town Halls Cold Open.

George Stephanopoulos (Mikey Day) hosts a town hall with Joe Biden (Jim Carrey) while Savannah Guthrie (Kate McKinnon) hosts one with Donald Trump (Alec Baldwin).
SNL's writers were right to have Kate McKinnon as Savannah Guthrie say that people who were mad at NBC for hosting the town hall would be less annoyed after they saw what she did to Trump. I know I was.

Weekend Update also covered the debate as one of its stories in the first clip of the segment, Weekend Update: Trump Rallies.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week’s biggest news, like NBC hosting a town hall for Trump.
"SNL" has a long tradition of biting NBC and its parent company, whether General Electric, Comcast, or NBC Universal, and this segment was no exception. "NBC has a type," indeed. I thought Matt Lauer was a jerk ever since his cameo in "Land of the Lost." It turned out he was not just playing a character.

Follow over the jump for the rest of the most topical parts of Weekend Update.

The political and social commentary continued in Weekend Update: Top Halloween Costumes & Grocery Store Racism.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week’s biggest news, like what the most popular halloween costumes for 2020 are.
I'm glad to see Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn hasn't hurt the popularity of the character. May next year's "Suicide Squad" maintain, if not improve, her standing with the fans. Kellyanne Conway should be flattered to compared to her. As for being a witch and a dinosaur, ouch. That's worse than being compared to Inspector Gadget. On the other hand, when I read about the attack on Gisele Barreto Fetterman, the Second Lady of Pennsylvania, I decided to follow her on Twitter because she has the right enemies. So far, I'm pleased that I did; she's an admirable woman.

The remote (and obviously pre-recorded) Weekend Update: Aidy In America mocks both undecided voters and the reporters trying to find and interview them.

In Weekend Updates’ newest segment Aidy Bryant reaches out to voters in the heartland to talk about the 2020 election.
I like the concept, graphic, and theme song. As for the execution, well, at least it has potential. I hope it lives up to it.

I conclude today's entry with something even sillier, Weekend Update: Eric, Donald Jr. and Tiffany Trump on the 2020 Election.

Eric, Donald Jr. and Tiffany Trump (Alex Moffat, Mikey Day, Chloe Fineman) stop by Weekend Update to discuss the potential outcome of the 2020 presidential election.
Don Jr. trying too hard, Eric being stupid, and Tiffany being the neglected daughter are such common tropes that I suppose I should be getting tired of them, but they still work, so I expect to see more of them.

That's it for what passes for the Sunday entertainment feature, just as it has all this month. Ah, election season. I'll see if I can do something more focused on television as a whole later this week. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment