Sunday, October 17, 2021

Trevor Noah, CBS News, and PBS NewsHour explain 'The Great Resignation'

Even as the pandemic rages on, vaccinations and masks are allowing Americans to go back to in-person work, myself included. However, a record number of Americans left their jobs in August, a phenomenon called "The Great Resignation." I'm sharing a silly to serious examination of this subject, beginnin with "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" asking Why Is Everyone Quitting Their Jobs? - Getting Back To Normal-Ish.

From quitting to take care of family or leaving because of health concerns to the desire to pursue a new career, it seems like everyone is quitting their jobs right now. Here’s everything you need to know about The Great Resignation.
Noah is playing this for laughs, but all of this is true. Watch Millions of workers are quitting their jobs from CBS News for confirmation of the facts.

Businesses across the country are experiencing vacancies as new data shows a record number of people quitting their jobs. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, 4.3 million people quit their jobs in the month of August. CBS MoneyWatch reporter Aimee Picchi joins CBSN with the latest.
See? What Noah and his writers noticed is real. It's also the latest in a trend that has been going on all year, as PBS NewsHour reported in The pandemic pushed millions of U.S. workers to join the 'Great Resignation.' Here's why.

The September jobs report shows that the unemployment rate fell to 4.8% and job openings are at a record high with wages increased again last month, as companies tried to attract new employees. But more than 25 million people quit their jobs in the first seven months of this year. And it's now called “the great resignation.” Business and economics correspondent Paul Solman explains.
This segment not only described the stress of returning to in-person work, but the particular stresses of remote work, including for educators like myself. While I joked early during remote work when I asked on Facebook how everyone's commute was from their bedrooms to their home offices, I also observed that working from home is still work. It was also a big adjustment.

All three segments mentioned that "The Great Resignation" is one of the factors leading to a labor shortage. Here is a meme I saw on Twitter this morning that lists the rest of the causes.



That sums it up. Also, I finally have a Spongebob Squarepants meme on this blog more serious than his yelling "It's Leif Erikson Day! Hinga dinga durgen!" May my readers appreciate it as much as I do.

5 comments:

  1. So it has nothing to do with the fact their mandating the vacination you fucking moron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Rates of termination due to vaccine mandates are running at around 0.5% across most industries. The vaccine mandates are getting the job done -- only that tiny fraction (about one in two hundred) of employees refuse to get vaccinated in the end.

      The Great Resignation is a much larger-scale phenomenon and has been under way for several months, long before employer vaccine mandates became common. And the departing employees have been quite vocal about the reasons -- bad pay, bad bosses, bad working conditions -- for their leaving.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Infidel, for answering the substantive point of the comment. I was too tired and busy when I first read it to do that level of research. I was also more interested in pointing out that this is the first abusive on-topic comment I recall receiving on this blog in the nearly eleven years I've kept it. It's also poorly spelled, which doesn't surprise me. I must be doing something right even if "Unknown," who is also anonymous, is making mistakes.

      Delete
    3. I guess his keyboard also has all the punctuation keys missing (or shorted out due to being drooled on). He sounds like the type who "does his own research" on vaccination, using sites which also can't spell it. This was an easy one for me since I've been following the Great Resignation story pretty closely.

      Delete
    4. I'd say shorted out from being spat on, but the pattern isn't right unless he (I assume "Unknown" is a he) leans way over to the right and over the keyboard to miss the space bar.

      BTW, thanks for linking to this post and others this month. I notice and appreciate it.

      Delete