Wednesday, May 25, 2022

NOAA predicts another above average hurricane season for 2022

Time to shift from climate to weather as I examine the National Hurricane Center's predictions for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season beginning with CBS New York reporting NOAA unveils prediction for hurricane season as Mayor Adams urges New Yorkers to prepare.

With the damage caused by the remains of Hurricane Ida fresh on their minds, some New York City residents are bracing for another active hurricane season. CBS2's Christina Fan and Lonnie Quinn report.
Seeing the aftermath of Hurricane Ida added to the clips I embedded in 2021 in climate and weather from ABC News, NBC News, and WeatherNation shows that the storm left "a long-lasting legacy of loss" despite my hopes at the time. That reminds me that this year is the tenth anniversary of Hurricane Sandy, the Frankenstorm. If this year turns out to have as active a season as predicted, the remembrance of that disaster should have extra significance.

While I think CBS New York did an excellent job of depicting the human impact of Hurricane Ida, I found its explanation of the science behind the storm season prediction a bit lacking compared to ABC 13 Houston's NOAA predicts above average Atlantic hurricane season, releases storm names, which includes the primary list for names for 2022's tropical storms and hurricanes.

Chief Meteorologist Travis Herzog explains NOAA's 2022 hurricane season predictions.
I have a personal interest in this season, as one of my names is on this list, just like it was on the lists for 2010, when it actually was used, but I don't recall noticing it then, and 2016, when it wasn't. I paid more attention when another of my names appeared in the 2005 list, when it was used, as that was the first time there were more storms than names, just like 2020. I paid even more attention in 2011, when that name appeared next to my ex-girlfriend's. We broke up more than 15 years ago, but we're still together as hurricane names and will be until at least 2023. Ironic.

Speaking of named storms, if this season results in 21 named storms, it will be the third consecutive year that all names on the primary list will be used. Yikes! That's enough to make me conclude by being a good environmentalist and recycling what I last wrote in August 2021.
First, welcome to the 400 ppm world. Second, are you scared enough by climate change? My readers should be.
That reminds me; I should write about the greenhouse gas levels recorded this spring. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. A storm named, "Crazy Eddie"? Bring out the plywood sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. There isn't even a Hurricane Eddie on the name lists, let alone a Hurricane Crazy (or Loco). However, there are three or four Hurricane Eddie's bars in Florida. Where else?

      Delete