Monday, October 30, 2023

Duran Duran sings 'Psycho Killer' and other spooky songs for Halloween

Happy Candy Corn Day, when I usually blog about monsters. I'll do that tomorrow. Today, I want to share some music with my readers. Watch shuttermuze's Duran Duran Halloween Show - Psycho Killer (Encore Theatre at the Wynn, Las Vegas) October 31, 2022.


Duran Duran in costume playing Talking Heads on Halloween — I couldn't resist. Talking Heads is one of my favorite bands — (Nothing but) Flowers is the theme song for this blog, after all — and my opinion of Duran Duran has grown over the decades. Forty years ago, I thought they were a band of pretty boys who sang shallow dance-pop songs. Not for me. Then I learned two things about them that made me respect them more. First, my friends and I watched Barbarella together. When the villain introduced himself as Durand-Durand, we all looked at each other and thought, "no way." Yes, way. I listened to a radio interview of Simon Le Bon, who confirmed that the band had indeed taken their name from the character. Score one for a unique inspiration. In that same interview, Le Bon said that Duran Duran wanted to be to video what Pink Floyd was to stereo, the first to explore the technology to the fullest. The band had greater artistic aspirations than I had given them credit for. Score two. Since then, I've been a fan. It helped that they performed the title song to a James Bond film, View to a Kill, which earned a Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Song - Motion Picture. Good song, but not a great Bond flick; geology makes for a poor mad science.

Follow over the jump for live performances of two original songs for the album.

First, another shuttermuze video, Duran Duran - Dance Macabre (Ovation Hall, Atlantic City) September 23, 2023.


Those images play better on the concert stage than they do in the official video. They look like AI animation. For all I know, they are.

I conclude with an official video from the band's YouTube channel, Duran Duran Perform "Black Moonlight" on The Graham Norton Show.


That's equal parts fun and creepy and a perfect song to end this virtual concert.

I close with Secret of the Booze's The Bates Special: A Psycho Inspired Cocktail • 31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN for "Psycho Killer."

The Bates Special is our spin on the classic Mother's Milk cocktail. Norman was always a momma's boy and in today's drink we are making something that even a mother would approve of. Each day we are creating a new drink for 31 days of Halloween inspired by iconic characters that go bump in the night.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
1 oz. cinnamon schnapps
1 oz. butterscotch schnapps
1 oz. milk
2 drops grenadine

INSTRUCTIONS
Add cinnamon schnapps, butterscotch schnapps, and milk to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. (Mother’s Milk) Strain into a chilled coupette glass.
Garnish with 3 drops of grenadine.
Drink responsibly and stay tuned for another Halloween post tomorrow plus a bonus spooky season post for Day of the Dead. Trick or treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment