Saturday, October 7, 2023

Meyers' and Colbert's guests on strikes and labor issues

I closed Colbert, Meyers, and Kimmel turn their attention to Matt Gaetz by telling my readers to "Stay tuned, as I still plan on posting this week's best guests." Since I haven't written about the actors strike since WGA strike ends, actors still on strike, talk shows to return and the UAW strike since Biden to walk picket line and Trump to address auto workers, a UAW strike update, I'm featuring those guests who talked about labor issues this week, beginning with Chris Hayes Explains the Root of Labor Strikes Sweeping the Nation on Late Night with Seth Meyers.

Chris Hayes breaks down the labor strikes, talks about recording his podcast, Why Is This Happening?, in front of a live audience and rants about minivans getting a bad rap.
As a union member who has gone on strike, I agree with everything Chris Hayes said.* Strikes are about more than wages and work conditions; they are responses to collective affronts to the dignity of workers. The Great Recession struck a serious blow against American capitalism (and labor) that neither has fully recovered from. The pandemic gave people, especially workers, time to contemplate what they really wanted to do with their lives. I know I changed my mind about work because of the experience; I decided to retire earlier than I had planned before 2020, although I'm still working.

Before I move on, Hayes's remarks about minivans and SUVs remind me that I have a driving update coming soon and I have a Vox video about SUVs that I might share for it. It's part of a series on transportation and design that includes cruise ships, trains, planes, and RVs — trains, planes, and automobiles!

Next, “AI Is All Around Us” - Neil deGrasse Tyson Says We Shouldn’t Worry About Artificial Intelligence on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

America’s most beloved astrophysicist, and host of the “Star Talk” podcast, tells Stephen not to fear the rise of artificial intelligence. Stick around for more with Neil deGrasse Tyson, and check out his latest book, “To Infinity and Beyond: A Journey of Cosmic Discovery.”
I saw the panic over ChatGPT and other AI chat programs being able to write term papers first-hand, so I know Neil deGrasse Tyson is not kidding about it. I also know he's right about the power of AI to find patterns in data, including the YouTube algorithm's ability to find videos and creators I would like, the latest being The History Guy tackles 'The Rise and Fall of the American Mall,' a tale of the Retail Apocalypse. Remember, Big Data is watching you (and me, too)!

I conclude with another of Stephen's guests talking about the WGA strike, John Oliver Launches Strike Force Five Merch At Stephen Colbert’s Audience.

Stephen welcomes his Strike Force Five co-host John Oliver for a three-part conversation that kicks off with a rather dangerous stunt in the Ed Sullivan Theater.
John Oliver is right that prison healthcare isn't the best subject for a return to work show. I haven't watched it yet. I will, eventually, but it's a race between Last Week Tonight and Saturday Night Live for my covering the two shows' shared nominations. I suspect it will be SNL's return that does it.

Speaking of which, stay tuned for the Sunday entertainment feature, which will be about the Emmy Awards, whether the winners of the News & Documentary Emmy Awards to the nominees for the Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards. I haven't decided which yet.

*That's a story I haven't told here. Today's not the time, but maybe one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment