Thursday, December 28, 2023

Horror, Fantasy, and Action/Adventure/Thriller TV nominees at the 51st Saturn Awards


I begin today's installment of my Saturn Awards series, as I have most previous ones, by quoting Deadline: "HBO/Max’s The Last of Us had five...including acting noms for stars...Pedro Pascal" and Bella Ramsey. It's the leading horror TV series nominee. I'm also examining the nominees for Fantasy and Action/Adventure/Thriller TV Series, as the leading shows in both genres, Wednesday, House of the Dragon, and Outlander, have four nominations each. This is at least the second time I've combined my examinations of Outlander, fantasy, and horror nominees, as I did so in 'Outlander,' 'The Walking Dead,' and other fantasy, horror, and science fiction nominees at the Saturn Awards two years ago. Precedent!

Follow over the jump for the nominees in these genres plus one acting category I didn't cover yesterday.

Best Horror Television Series

American Horror Story (FX/Hulu)
Chucky (NBC/Universal/Syfy)
Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
From (MGM+)
Interview with the Vampire (AMC)
The Last of Us (HBO/Max)
What We Do in the Shadows (FX/Hulu)
As much guff as I've given Deadline over accuracy, this is one of the categories they got right, as neither the Saturn Awards IMDB page nor the Saturn Awards website list The Last of Us as one of the nominees for Best Horror Television Series and IMDB mislists Pedro Pascal under Andor. Oops. I had to log in to the members area to confirm that Deadline was correct about both. Good thing, too, as The Last of Us is my first choice. If the show hadn't been listed, I'd have voted for From instead and considered this a big snub. I'm also voting for The Last of Us as Best New Genre Television Series, Pedro Pascal for Best Actor in a Television Series, and Nick Offerman for Best Guest Star in a Television Series. I'm not planning on voting for Bella Ramsey for Best Younger Performer in a Television Series. I say who I am after I share Gold Derby's interview of Peter Hoar ('The Last of Us' director) on 'story that really talks to you and speaks from the heart'.

Peter Hoar ('The Last of Us' director) on aligning 'with a story that really talks to you and speaks from the heart.' He directed “Long, Long Time,” the acclaimed third episode for which he received his first Emmy nomination this year. Gold Derby editor Rob Licuria hosts this special 'Meet the Experts' panel with showrunners and directors.
That was a great episode and I'm pleased Hoar got nominated for it.

Best Fantasy Television Series

Ghosts (CBS)
Good Omens (Amazon)
House of the Dragon (HBO/Max)
The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power (Amazon)
Mayfair Witches (AMC)
Schmigadoon! (Apple TV+)
Wednesday (Netflix)
Wednesday is tied with House of the Dragon with four nominations, followed by Ghosts with three, The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power with two, and Good Omens, Mayfair Witches, and Schmigadoon! with just this one. Both House of the Dragon and Wednesday are the professional choices, but I'm not voting for the Game of Thrones prequel for the reason I outlined in HBO dramas and 'SNL' split the nominees for Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series at the 2023 Emmy Awards: "This is the one nominated series I haven't seen, as my wife found the violence in Game of Thrones excessive and gratuitous, so we stopped watching it after the first season." One the other hand, we watched all of Wednesday, so I'm voting for it.

I'm sharing two Gold Derby interviews of the creatives behind the two leading shows, beginning Alfred Gough and Miles Millar ('Wednesday' creators) on Tim Burton: 'It's a match made in heaven'.

Alfred Gough and Miles Millar ('Wednesday' creators) on teaming with Tim Burton: 'It's a match made in heaven.' The Netflix series starring Jenna Ortega premieres November 23 and follows Wednesday Addams as a high school student at Nevermore Academy. Gold Derby editor Denton Davidson hosts this webchat.
Tim Burton directing The Addams Family — indeed, "a match made in heaven."

Next, Greg Yaitanes ('House of the Dragon' and 'The Old Man' director) on final dragon battle

Greg Yaitanes ('House of the Dragon' and 'The Old Man' director) on final dragon battle plus working with Jeff Bridges. The Emmy winner had his work cut out for him on both of these season finales for HBO and FX. Gold Derby editor Rob Licuria hosts this webchat.
If the rest of the Saturn Awards electorate votes like professionals, I think House of the Dragon could win. If they want to reward "entertainment over art, not into subtle, and sticking it to the experts," then they might vote with me for Wednesday.

Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Television Series

La Brea (NBC/Universal)
Manifest (Netflix)
Outlander (Starz)
Quantum Leap (NBC/Universal)
Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan (Amazon)
The Witcher (Netflix)
Yellowjackets (Showtime)
As I wrote above, Outlander leads this category with four nominations, followed by Quantum Leap with three counting a home entertainment nomination, The Witcher with two, and La Brea, Manifest, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, and Yellowjackets with just this one. The professional choice would be Yellowjackets, which has three Emmy nominations. I'm not voting for it, although I could see others doing so. Instead, I'm going to loyally vote for Outlander, which is one of the few shows where the channel itself is running a campaign.

In the interest of completeness, I'm sharing Caitriona Balfe ('Outlander'): 'I had to dig deep with Claire in a way that I hadn't before'.

Caitriona Balfe ('Outlander'): For season 6, 'I had to dig deep with Claire in a way that I hadn't before.' The final episode concluded with a riveting shoot-out and Claire's wrongful arrest for the murder of Malva Christie (Jessica Reynolds). Gold Derby editor Rob Licuria hosts this webchat.
As I wrote yesterday, I'm voting for Caitriona Balfe as Best Actress in a Television Series.

Best Younger Performer in a Television Series

Milly Alcock, House of the Dragon (HBO/Max)
Freya Allan, The Witcher (Netflix)
Zachary Arthur, Chucky (NBC/Universal/Syfy)
Brec Bassinger, Stargirl (Warner Bros. Television)
Jenna Ortega, Wednesday (Netfix)
Bella Ramsey, The Last of Us (HBO/Max)
Igby Rigney, The Midnight Club (Netflix)
While Brec Bassinger has won this award two years in a row and I even voted for her last year, I'm not voting for her this year and I knew that back in January.
While the experts at Gold Derby generally don't think much of "Wednesday" as a show, they seem to love Jenna Ortega, who plays the title character, as seven of the nine have picked her to win. Only one each ranked Jean Smart and Quinta Brunson first. While Ortega has been acting for years, "Wednesday" was definitely her breakthrough role. I expect to vote for Ortega at the Saturn Awards, whether for Best Actress on Television or Best Younger Performer on Television, whichever the acting nomination committee slots her in.
Ortega lost to Quinta Brunson at the Golden Globes, but she won Best Actress in a Horror Series, Limited Series or Made-for-TV Movie at the Critics Choice Super Awards and is nominated for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series at the Emmy Awards. She is one of two professional choices along with Bella Ramsey, who Gold Derby interviewed in Bella Ramsey ('The Last of Us') on feeling 'instantly comfortable' on set, bonding with Pedro Pascal.

Bella Ramsey ('The Last of Us') on feeling 'instantly comfortable' on set and bonding with Pedro Pascal. She reveals that the feeling of belonging which she first discovered on 'Game of Thrones' continued for this post-apocalyptic story. Gold Derby's Sam Eckmann hosts this webchat.
I think choosing between Ortega and Ramsey is cruel, but I'm sticking to what I wrote eleven months ago. Go Jenna!

That's it for the Saturn Awards today. I plan on finishing this series tomorrow with the superhero TV series, television presentations, and home entertainment. I don't know if I'll post a retrospective of 2023 first. Stay tuned to find out.

Previous posts about the 51st Saturn Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment