Thursday, December 21, 2023

Monstrum on 'Mari Lwyd: The Skeleton Horse's Deep Past with Christmas Tradition' for Winter Solstice/Yule

Happy Winter Solstice and Yule! Like last year, I'm celebrating by sharing the latest video from Monstrum on PBS Storied, Mari Lwyd: The Skeleton Horse's Deep Past with Christmas Tradition | Monstrum.

The coastal villages of Wales around the winter holidays have a bizarre nighttime visitor: a grim skeletal horse who roams the streets with a rag tag group, demanding food and drink from neighborhood families. But is this really a monster to be feared, or one that is rather cheered?
First, I'd never heard of Mari Lwyd before watching this video, so I learned something new. It's always a good day when I learn something new. Second, I enjoyed Dr. Z connecting this monster to both the Winter Solstice and to other European Christmas monsters, including Krampus, who has a video of his own. I'm an environmentalist, so I don't just recycle, I conserve my resources. I'm saving that episode of Monstrum for a future Yule. Finally, I have a holiday meme for my readers.


Stay tuned for more holiday posts. I love holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Infidel753 for linking to this post in Link round-up for 24 December 2023 and welcome to all of you who came here after clicking his link! Also, welcome to all of my international readers from Germany, Singapore, Russia (yes, even you), and the rest of the world. I appreciate all of you, especially my readers from Germany, who contributed 500+ page views this week!

    ReplyDelete