Sunday, December 31, 2023

Taylor Swift is most searched for New Year's Eve and second Norther 2023

Happy New Year's Eve and a blue Norther to my readers! I'm celebrating with the final retrospective of 2023, the year in Google search, a revival of a tradition I skipped last year. I begin with The Most Searched: Taylor Swift.

Spanning eras and genres, her music is the soundtrack to our lives. She's won over the charts. She's written her way into our hearts — and history — time and time again. And unsurprisingly, people search for her (her lyrics, her albums, her tour dates, and more) with the same staggering frequency with which she sets records. Here's to the Most Searched Songwriter of all-time, Taylor Swift.
Not only is Taylor Swift Time's 2023 Person of the Year, she's the most searched. That alone makes this a proper Sunday entertainment feature. Just to cement that status, I'm returning to the promise I made in Trevor Noah, Wanda Sykes, and Chris Rock, comedians nominated at the Golden Globes, Grammys, and Emmys, to get to Cinematic and Box Office Achievement in a future post. Swift's concert film earned a nomination in that category, so here are the nominees.
Cinematic and Box Office Achievement
Barbie
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
John Wick: Chapter 4
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Congratulations to Swift and her fans for catapulting her concert film into the top ten at the 2023 box office and into this category! It's also the only nominee I didn't cover in my Saturn Awards series. As Infidel753 remarked in Link round-up for 24 December 2023 today, "Here are the Saturn Awards nominees for 2023. This time I've actually heard of some of them." That's because the top eight grossing films of 2023 are all Saturn Awards nominees. Everyone has heard of them. Revenge of the nerds!*

Swift may be in for more honors, as two of the ten Gold Derby editors think Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour will win this category; the rest picked Barbie. Normally, I'd say this new category is a lock for Barbie, but the two editors choosing Swift's film are Joyce Eng and Christopher Rosen, my two favorite Gold Derby experts, so I'm taking the possibility seriously.

Follow over the jump for the rest of this year's top search results, a bonus 25 years of search, and dancing lemmings for Norther.

Reuters reported These were the top trending Google searches of 2023.

From the Israel-Hamas war to Barbenheimer, here are some of the top trending Google searches of 2023.
No surprise, the interests of people using Google matched closely, but not perfectly, the top stories populating 2023 in review from Vox, Time, and ABC News. Damar Hamlin, Matthew Perry, and Tina Turner are the people that Google users thought were more important than the newsmakers the journalistic professionals featured in their year in review videos. It shows it's good to have another perspective.

As I teased above the jump, I'm sharing a bonus video, Google — 25 Years in Search: The Most Searched.

This year, we’re celebrating the most searched figures and moments in 25 years of Google Search. From some of the world’s most iconic performances, to history-making breakthroughs, see the moments that have changed the world and inspired the next generation to come.
Google wanted this video to be inspiring and informative and I think the company succeed in both.

Today is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Winter Solstice, so it is Norther, one of two fake holidays created by John Michael Greer the Archdruid and maintained by me. I've celebrated the day with the year in search and Golden Globes nominees before, so I could call it a day, but I wanted to do something with lemmings, Greer's choice for the day's animal mascot. In particular, I wanted dancing lemmings, and I found them in TOP 5 dedicated to the danse - Grizzy & the Lemmings.

Danse & fun are the key words of this TOP 5 !

He is big as a bear, strong as a bear, smart... as a bear. Naturally, no other animal dares to contest his “bear’s privilege.” That is no other animal except one: a tribe that belongs to the most inoffensive, stupid and ridiculous mammal family that exists – the lemmings.
And a dancing bear, too!

Since this is the second Norther of 2023, I call it a blue Norther, like a second full moon in a month is a blue moon. That means there will be no Norther in 2024, as the first full moon after next year's winter solstice will not be until January 13, 2025, so Norther will be on January 19, 2025. Let's hope I remember to include Grizzy and the Lemmings then!

That's it for 2023's blogging. Stay tuned for my favorite bands in the Rose Parade for New Year's Day and the reveal of my Saturn Awards votes on National Science Fiction Day to begin 2024.

*Personal aside — I worked with the sister of Miguel Tejada-Flores, the writer of Revenge of the Nerds, when I was researching my masters thesis on the fossil snails and clams of the tar pits. Just to add to my second-hand nearness to fame, the Tejada-Flores siblings are grandchildren of a president of Bolivia, José Luis Tejada Sorzano. I'm surprised I've never mentioned either of these personal trivia before!

Previous posts about the Golden Globes

No comments:

Post a Comment