Welcome, me hearties, to another episode of Words Unravelled. In this edition, Rob and Jess discuss nautical terms and pirate slang.Hearing about all the nautical terms that have made their way into everyday English reminds me that Otherwords on PBS Storied has an episode about that, which YouTube recommended to me at the end of this video. Not today. As I wrote last year:
What's so poopy about a poop deck?
What does it mean to "shiver" someone's timbers?
Which English idioms come from the high seas?
Find out in Words Unravelled!
PBS Origins has seven more videos about pirates in the Rogue History series. I'm saving them for future celebrations of this fake holiday. I'm an environmentalist; I don't just recycle, I conserve my resources.For an encore, I'm sharing the hosts being asked What's the "buckler" in "swashbuckler"?
Author and game maker Joshua Blackburn quizzes Rob and Jess on the meaning of a piratey word.Point to Jess, who discussed the word in the first video, but had half-forgotten it by the second.
I'm glad YouTube recommended this channel to me. It's a great resource that I plan on using for World Food Day (Not National Food Day as I plan on writing a guide to answers to Food, Inc. 2 worksheet just like I did for the original Food, Inc. ten years ago), Halloween, Christmas, and, of course, English Language Day. Those entries will be fun!
In the meantime, stay tuned for the Sunday entertainment feature. Emmy Awards won by The Pitt, Pluribus, and other drama series!
No comments:
Post a Comment