Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: last of nine parts

detroitmap1


Here's where I left off yesterday.
There should be one final installment of this project.
Finally, there are posts that were in the top ten between January 1st and March 21st, but which fell out by the time I compiled the list. That should take care of the series.
I've found one and mentioned another, so I already have the next entry half composed.
The first of those articles is Shrinking Detroit in the New York Times by way of the Columbus Dispatch, posted on April 11, 2011, which was in the top 10 during the time frame in question, but was knocked out before the first full year was over.

Here's what I had to say about this entry over at Kunstler's blog.
I suspect the largest political unit that is aware that it is managing contraction is the City of Detroit, where they can't avoid the realization. I blogged about it in THE LATEST INSTALLMENT OF CRAZY EDDIE'S MOTIE NEWS. Of course, Detroit and its collapse and renewal are the subject of more than half the posts on my blog. The topic is, as Spock would say, "fascinating."
That's not very informative. I like my justification for using it better.
[I]t's not every day that the New York Times covers exactly those aspects of Detroit that I cover in this blog. Better yet, it was picked up by the Columbus Dispatch, which doesn't have the 20 article limit before hitting a paywall that the New York Times has. Also, a friend of mine in Columbus posted the link on my Facebook wall. Who am I to refuse a good story when it's dumped in my lap?
Who am I to refuse, indeed? It had plenty of readers. I can't say how many it had when it dropped out of the top ten, but it currently has 580 page views according to the alternative counter on my site, which overcounts the number of readers relative to the one I use for my official top ten. That's 234 more than Detroit as a travel destination? The New York Times, BBC, and Financial Times think so, which has 346 page views using the alternative method and which made the end of year top ten.

The second runner-up is Video clips from last night's Republican debate, which I posted on November 10, 2011. It currently has 433 page views according to the alternative counter. I already mentioned it in The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 7 of several. Here's what I said about it then.
One of the many entries I posted about the GOP debate here in Michigan also cracked the top ten, although briefly, during the primary season, as people Googled it after every debate: Video clips from last night's Republican debate. Unfortunately, the clip of Perry being unable to name a third federal department to eliminate got pulled down, but there is a funnier version still up in Rick Perry blowing his answer to the Jeopardy theme.
That clip is still up.


As I wrote back then, "Sorry, Governor, the correct answer was 'What is the Department of Energy?'"

The listing of the dozen most viewed entries at the end of the first year is now complete, but I'm not done yet. Follow over the jump for the ten most viewed posts from the first year that didn't make the official top ten after January 1, 2012, along with their dates of posting, current page views according to the alternative counter, and the image or video I think best represents each one.


Gas prices fall back below $4.00 in metro Detroit, posted June 15, 2011, with 794 page views and no comments.


Meditations on sustainability, part 1, posted on May 3, 2011 with 569 page views and no comments.


Meta: More meditations on sustainability, posted August 29, 2011 with 594 page views.

sustainability_spheres

This one's for Narb, posted August 13, 2011, with 461 page views and six comments.


A macro about cultural decay, posted September 27, 2011, with 434 page views.


'Atlas Shrugged' gets the reviews and box office it deserves (Part I of a series), posted April 18, 2011, with 392 page views and four comments.

Fat Cat goes Galt

Troy Mayor Janice Daniels shows how to be vulnerable to a scandal, posted December 31, 2011, with 378 page views and no comments.


The Austrian School: Faith-based economics and pseudoscience, posted December 23, 2011, with 344 page views and no comments.


Ayn Rand on love and sex, posted November 28, 2011, with 336 page views and four comments.

Ayn Rand Flow Chart

Objectivism and Scientology: a sublime to the ridiculous comparison, posted November 16, 2011, with 324 page views and no comments.

theinternetishere

I took the liberty of substituting another image for the one I used, which would have been a duplicate of one I used before. See if you can figure out which one it was, or just click on the link and find out for yourself.

Now I'm done!

Previous posts in this series.

The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 1 of several
The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 2 of several
The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 3 of several
The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 4 of several
The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 5 of several
The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 6 of several
The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 7 of several
The first year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News: Part 8 of several

No comments:

Post a Comment