Monday, July 24, 2017

Trailers for 'Stranger Things,' 'Westworld,' 'The Walking Dead,' 'Star Trek: Discovery," and more at San Diego Comic Con


When I wrote "I'll post about fun stuff tomorrow" at the end of WXYZ on the Detroit Riots 50 years later, I wasn't sure what I'd write about.  Then, I saw the following trailer suggested for me on YouTube: Stranger Things | Season 2 Comic Con "Thriller" Trailer [HD] | Netflix.

The first trailer for Stranger Things 2 is here. It’s 1984 and the citizens of Hawkins, Indiana are still reeling from the horrors of the demogorgon and the secrets of Hawkins Lab. Will Byers has been rescued from the Upside Down but a bigger, sinister entity still threatens those who survived.

Season 2 premieres October 27, 2017.
Oh, boy, "Dragon's Lair," "Thriller," and "Ghostbusters" -- I don't need the Reagan/Bush lawn signs to tell me that it's 1984, specifically, Halloween 1984.*  That written, as soon as I watched it, I told my wife she had to as well.  We both loved it and it made us excited for the series' return.  It also convinced me to make today's post about San Diego Comic Con trailers, something I hadn't done here since 2015.  Follow over the jump for trailers from "Westworld," "The Walking Dead," "Star Trek: Discovery," and more television shows.**

The first is the one with the air date farthest away, Westworld Season 2: Comic-Con Trailer (HBO).

From Executive Producers, J.J. Abrams, Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, Westworld returns in 2018.
I look at that robotic tiger corpse and am reminded of the polar bear in "Lost," also a J.J. Abrams creation.  I hope that mystery doesn't take three or four seasons to pay off, like the polar bears did.

Next, The Walking Dead Season 8 Official Comic-Con Trailer

It’s all-out war in Season 8. Don’t miss the Season 8 Premiere of The Walking Dead, Sunday, October 22 at 9/8c on AMC.
Lots of people online are talking about the possibility of a time skip as a result of the scene with an older bearded Rick.  Does that mean a scene from the finale has been recorded already?  I'll find out.

Continuing to move in reverse chronological order, one of the more recent to air will be Star Trek: Discovery - Official Trailer.

Watch the explosive trailer for the next chapter of the Star Trek franchise. Star Trek: Discovery premieres September 24th on CBS All Access.
That looks even better than I had hoped.  It will make paying for CBS All Access worth it.

Just as I did in Serious and silly 'Star Trek' previews -- 'Discovery' and 'The Orville', I'm placing the Comic-Con 2017 Official Trailer: The Orville | Season 1 | THE ORVILLE right after the one for "Star Trek: Discovery."

Blast off on a space adventure with Seth MacFarlane in FOX's all-new comedy, THE ORVILLE, SEP 10 on FOX!
Yes, this still reminds me of "Galaxy Quest" as a series.

Now, for some of the other shows I follow, beginning with Once Upon A Time Season 7 Comic-Con Trailer.

We're opening a new book. Get swept up in the first look at Once Upon A Time Season 7 from San Diego Comic-Con!
I've been wondering who would come back.  I know young Henry, Emma Swan, and the Charmings won't return as regular characters, although maybe as guest stars.  I see Captain Hook, Rumpelstiltskin, and the Evil Queen, which I find encouraging.  I plan on watching.

Next, I get right up to the edge of superhero comic book territory with Comic-Con 2017: LUCIFER Sizzle Reel | LUCIFER, which the Saturn Awards classified, correctly for once, as fantasy.

Catch up on the last season of LUCIFER and have a look at what's to come in season 3! LUCIFER returns MON, OCT 2 on FOX!
I will miss Tricia Helfer as Charlotte, but I'm sure the writers will find someone intriguing from the source material to drive the plot.  Also, the sizzle reel shows that the series will continue to do what I wrote that I enjoyed in Speculative fiction on television at the People's Choice Awards 2017, part 1.
"Lucifer" is an absolute hoot, both because of its cast, especially Tom Ellis in the title role, and its writing, which relentlessly sends up its setting of Los Angeles along with the city's celebrity culture.  As an ex-Angelino, I appreciate that.
If I continue down this path, I'll enter true comic book territory.  Archie and the costumed crimefighters deserve their own post, so readers expecting "Arrow" based on the preview image will have to wait.  Instead I'll finish with the show that will return the soonest, The Last Ship: Season 4 [TRAILER] | TNT.

The Last Ship returns to TNT on August 20th!
And the post-apocalypse continues.  At least there are no zombies.

I'm not even halfway through, and it still looks like my wife and I have plenty to entertain ourselves.

*Personal footnote, literally -- I was at Ronald Reagan's last campaign stop, ever.  The Monday evening before the general election, Reagan held a rally at Los Angeles Pierce College in Woodland Hills, California.  Since we lived in the same town, my mother and I went.  After passing through the metal detectors, we entered the football stadium, which was a familiar site to me; it was the home field for my high school's football games.  Instead of sitting in the stands, my mother and I stood on the field.  I don't remember much of the speech, except that it was textbook Gipper, rousing platitudes about American greatness.  What I do remember were all the college-aged people, my age and younger, yelling "four more years" and "Mondale sucks!"  My mom and I looked at each other and shook our heads; we decided that Reagan didn't need our votes.  I voted for the Libertarian candidate and my mon told me she voted for Mondale, even though both of us were registered Republicans.  Reagan won in landslide anyway.  We were right; he didn't need our votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment