Sunday, July 9, 2017

Speculative fiction in film at the 2017 Teen Choice Awards


While I wrote that "I'll have more on speculative fiction on television with the Teen Choice Awards" in "The Walking Dead" leads 2017 Saturn Awards television winners, I'm going to take care of the movie nominations first.  Wochit Entertainment lists the nominees for Choice Sci-Fi Movie in Power Rangers Nominated For Teen Choice Award.

The Power Rangers will be making an appearance at the Teen Choice Awards, courtesy of the Choice Sci-Fi Movie category.
The video mentioned the other nominees, but the text below didn't.  Here they are from Teen Vogue and ABC News.
Arrival
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
Power Rangers
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
The Space Between Us
My choice would be "Arrival," but that's not a movie a teenager would pick.  Instead, I think they would vote for either "Guardians of the Galaxy" or "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story."

Speaking of the Teen Choice Sci-Fi movie nominees, here are the nominated actors in this genre.
Choice Sci-Fi Movie Actor

Asa Butterfield, The Space Between Us
Chris Pratt, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Dacre Montgomery, Power Rangers
Diego Luna, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Jeremy Renner, Arrival
Tom Hiddleston, Kong: Skull Island

Choice Sci-Fi Movie Actress

Amy Adams, Arrival
Becky G, Power Rangers
Brie Larson, Kong: Skull Island
Felicity Jones, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Naomi Scott, Power Rangers
Zoe Saldana, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
I'd vote for Chris Pratt as Choice Sci-Fi Actor.  I don't know who the teens would vote for.  As for Choice Sci-Fi Actress, I'd vote for Amy Adams. I expect the teens would vote for Felicity Jones.

Follow over the break for the rest of the movie nominees from the first wave.

The first genre listed in the Teen Choice Awards isn't Sci-Fi, it's Action.  Here are the Choice Action Movie nominees.
Choice Action Movie

Logan
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
The Fate of the Furious
Transformers: The Last Knight
Wonder Woman
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
I'd hope the teens and I would vote for "Wonder Woman."  It's time the movie win awards instead of just its trailer.  That written, I wouldn't be surprised if "The Fate of the Furious" won.  The previous installment of the series won in 2015 and the franchise won The Generation Award at  MTV Movie & TV Awards earlier this year.

Vin Diesel, accompanied by co-stars Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez, and Tyrese Gibson, accept the MTV Generation Award at the 2017 MTV Movie & TV Awards for the 'Fast and the Furious' franchise.
Since the MTV Awards and the Teen Choice Awards have similar electorates, this result wouldn't surprise me at all, although I might find it a touch disappointing.
Choice Action Movie Actor

Brenton Thwaites, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Chris Pine, Wonder Woman
Dwayne Johnson, The Fate of the Furious
Hugh Jackman, Logan
Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Vin Diesel, The Fate of the Furious; xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Hugh Jackman and "Logan" -- that reminds me.
There were three other speculative fiction winners at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, "Beauty and the Beast," "Get Out," and "Logan," but all of them are this year's movies and will very likely be nominated at next year's Saturn Awards for Best Fantasy Film, Best Horror Film," and Best Comic-to-Motion Picture.  I'll talk about them later -- after I finish posting about the rest of this year's Saturn Awards nominees.
It took me until I posted about the winners, but at least I'm following through.  Hugh Jackman and Dafne Keen won Best Duo at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, which had a very similar electorate to the Teen Choice Awards.

A 360° look at Hugh Jackman and Dafne Keen’s Best Duo acceptance speech for 'Logan' at the 2017 MTV Movie & TV Awards.
I prefer Chris Pine, but I could accept Jackman.  However, it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny Depp or Vin Diesel won.


The next category has attracted a lot of attention from outside the U.S.  Watch Deepika Padukone Against Wonder Woman Gal Gadot At Teen Choice Awards 2017 from Bollywood Now.

Teen Choice Awards 2017: Deepika Padukone nominated for xXx, to compete against Wonder Woman Gal Gadot.
I recommend my readers turn on closed captioning.  YouTube's voice recognition software does better with the Indian accents than my ears.

Here are the other nominees in this category
Kaya Scodelario, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Michelle Rodriguez, The Fate of the Furious
Nina Dobrev, xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Ruby Rose, xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Again, I hope the teens vote the way I would -- for Gal Gadot.  The people leaving comments at YouTube seem to agree with me.  As for who might beat her, I'd pick Michelle Rodriguez.

Now for the last movie and actress nominated for a Teen Choice Award that also won an MTV Award.
Choice Fantasy Movie

Beauty and the Beast
Doctor Strange
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Moana
I'd vote for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," but I fully expect "Beauty and the Beast" to win, just as it won Movie of the Year at the MTV Movie & TV Awards.
Choice Fantasy Movie Actor

Asa Butterfield, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Benedict Cumberbatch, Doctor Strange
Dan Stevens, Beauty and the Beast
Dwayne Johnson, Moana
Eddie Redmayne, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
I'd flip a coin between Benedict Cumberbatch and Eddie Redmayne, but I fully expect the electorate to make it a "Beauty and the Beast" sweep by electing Dan Stevens.
Choice Fantasy Movie Actress

Auli'i Cravalho, Moana
Emma Watson, Beauty and the Beast
Eva Green, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Katherine Waterston, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Rachel McAdams, Doctor Strange
I'd vote for Eva Green, but I expect Emma Watson to make it a "Beauty and the Beast" sweep.  Besides, she won Best Actor in a Movie at the MTV Movie & TV Awards.  He she is, accepting the award.

Emma Watson accepts the award for Best Actor in a Movie for her role as Belle in "Beauty and the Beast" at the 2017 MTV Movie & TV Awards.
Now, that was an inspirational acceptance speech.  May she be up to doing that again at the rest of the awards shows betwen now and next year's Saturn Awards.

Normally, I'd stop here, but there are speculative fiction or speculative fiction adjacent nominees in nearly all the Drama and Comedy categories.  Onward!
Choice Drama Movie

Before I Fall
Everything, Everything
Gifted
Hidden Figures
The Edge of Seventeen
The Shack


Choice Drama Movie Actor

Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Chris Evans, Gifted
Kian Lawley, Before I Fall
Nick Robinson, Everything, Everything
Taylor Lautner, Run the Tide

Choice Drama Movie Actress

Amandla Stenberg, Everything, Everything
Emma Watson, The Circle
Hailee Steinfeld, The Edge of Seventeen
Taraji P. Henson, Hidden Figures
Zoey Deutch, Before I Fall
"Hidden Figures" is the science-fiction adjacent movie in this field.  Also, Andrew Garfield is a former Spiderman, Chris Evans is Captain America, Taylor Lautner was a werewolf in the "Twilight" movies, and Emma Watson, in addition to playing Belle, made her name as Hermione Granger in the "Harry Potter" movies.  I'd probably vote for "Hidden Figures," Andrew Garfield, and Taraji Henson, but I'm not a teen, so I really don't know which would win.  It wouldn't surprise me if "Everything, Everything" swept.
Choice Comedy Movie

Cars 3
Finding Dory
Keeping Up with the Joneses
Table 19
The Lego Batman Movie


Choice Comedy Movie Actor

Dwayne Johnson, Baywatch
Owen Wilson, Cars 3
Ricky Garcia, Bigger Fatter Liar
Will Arnett, The LEGO Batman Movie
Zac Efron, Baywatch
Zach Galifianakis, Keeping Up with the Joneses

Choice Comedy Movie Actress

Alexandra Daddario, Baywatch
Anna Kendrick, Table 19
Ellen DeGeneres, Finding Dory
Gal Gadot, Keeping Up with the Joneses
Jennifer Hudson, Sandy Wexler
Tori Kelly, Sing
"Cars 3," "Finding Dory," "Sing," and "The Lego Batman Movie" are the speculative fiction nominees in comedy.  I expect "Finding Dory" will win Choice Comedy Movie (I'd vote for it or "The Lego Batman Movie"), Dwayne Johnson for Choice Comedy Movie Actor (I'd vote for Owen Wilson), and Ellen DeGeneres for Choice Comedy Movie Actress (I'd vote for her, too).

That's it for my take on the first round of movie nominees.  I plan on being back for the first round of TV nominees and the second round of movie and TV nominees later this week.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment