Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Serious and silly 'Star Trek' previews -- 'Discovery' and 'The Orville'


Even though I said farewell to The Palace of Auburn Hills yesterday, I'm still in an "I can't be all DOOM all the time" mood.  I guess posting a week's worth of entertainment entries does that to me.  Since I'm still in the mood to amuse myself and my readers, I'm sharing two previews about "Star Trek."  The first is Star Trek: Discovery - First Look Trailer.

Before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise there was Discovery. Now, one of the most iconic and influential global franchises returns to television with Star Trek: Discovery. The CBS All Access Original Series arrives this Fall.
The preview looks great and the actress who played Sasha from "The Walking Dead" looks even better than she did in that role or the one before, when she played one of Peter Pan's henchmen in "Once Upon a Time."  I'm glad to see her moving up in the world.

That was the serious Trek preview.  Now the silly: THE ORVILLE Official Trailer (2017) Star Trek Spoof, Seth MacFarlane Comedy Drama Series HD.

The Star Trek Discovery series is still a few months out before airing on CBS. But until then, we’ve got what looks like the next best thing: Seth MacFarlane’s spoof of the franchise, The Orville.
Welcome to what "Galaxy Quest" would be as a real series in the 21st Century.  Consider that a compliment.

I'm looking forward to both shows.  I'm sure I'll be blogging about them when they air.  In the meantime, have some 'Star Trek' themed drinks for the show's 50th anniversary, which is technically still ongoing.  Live long and prosper!

4 comments:

  1. Those both look great. Maybe I'll catch them on DVD at some point. Admiral Halsey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife and I have already subscribed to CBS All Access for ST: Discovery and will probably catch "The Orville" on Hulu.

      Yeah, I caught that, too.

      Delete
  2. Discovery certainly looks impressive. I'm going to have to figure out how modern TV works -- I have no clue about all this stuff like Hulu. I haven't even owned a TV set for more than 20 years, but clearly there's a lot more quality material available now than there was when I lost interest in TV.

    Not as sure about The Orville. Unless they get really topnotch writers, it's going to be hard to hit the right comedy notes consistently. Galaxy Quest and Guardians of the Galaxy did it, but a continuing series is a different challenge than a one-shot movie. Still, maybe they'll pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't even need a television to watch shows on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon; you can watch them on your computer. Even combined, they're cheaper than cable and a lot more convenient. As for CBS All Access, that pays for itself because it's cheaper than buying the same shows on Amazon, which is the only streaming service that CBS and the CW use for their current shows (ABC, NBC, and Fox all use Hulu and their shows are included in the subscription) and two high quality series, "The Good Fight" and "Star Trek: Discovery" are only available there. Good luck with them and welcome to the 21st Century of television.

      As for "The Orville," the chief writer is going to be Seth MacFarlane, which is good and bad. He can't resist making pot shots at his favorite targets, some of which you and I don't like, either (creationists and conservatives). However, along with Bill Maher, he's one of the more politically incorrect liberal entertainers, so some of those snipes will make us cringe instead of laugh. I expect he'll do the same in space.

      Delete