Monday, January 16, 2023

Angela Bassett wins Best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes and Critics' Choice Awards, part 1 of diversity in awards show winners for MLK Day


A happy and contemplative MLK Day, when I have examined diversity in visual media since 2015. I'm continuing that tradition today by looking at the diverse winners of the movie categories at the Golden Globes and Critics' Choice Awards. I begin with Angela Bassett Wins Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture | 2023 Golden Globe Awards on NBC.

Angela Bassett accepts the award for Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
Congratulations to Angela Bassett for her second Golden Globe, first Critics' Choice Movie Award (she has already won a Critics Choice Super Award for Best Actress in an Action Series in "9-1-1"), and the first acting award from either awards show for a performer in a Marvel movie! May she continue her winning streak at the SAG Awards and earn a nomination at the Academy Awards for a chance at an Oscar. I already have her penciled in as my choice for a Saturn Award.


Not only did Bassett win for "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," so did Ruth E. Carter, who took home her third Critics' Choice Award for Best Costume Design. The first of those Critics' Choice Awards was for "Black Panther," for which she earned an Oscar. Congratulations and may she also have a winning streak that includes a second Oscar. Note that I didn't write "ends" as I have her penciled in as my vote for a Saturn Award, which should happen sometime this fall.

I am planning on posting about the rest of the diverse winners of the Golden Globes and Critics' Choice Awards, ending with the diverse television winners. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment