Friday, June 21, 2024

PBS Eons explains 'Why The Giraffe Got Its Neck' for World Giraffe Day

Happy World Giraffe Day! For this year's observance, I'm pursuing a paleontological path in my participation with PBS Eons explaining Why The Giraffe Got Its Neck.

How and why the giraffe's neck emerged in the first place has been a mystery that generations of biologists have argued over – one that has made us reconsider our understanding of how evolution actually works over and over again.
I've been saving this video for today since I watched it last August, ten months ago. After all, I'm an environmentalist; I conserve my resources. Speaking of which, I've been meaning to show this to my students as an example of sexual selection, but I definitely forgot to do so this semester. Now that I've blogged about it, I might just remember. Welcome to blogging as professional development.

That's a wrap for today's holiday post. Stay tuned for World Rainforest Day and Souther on Detroit-Style Pizza Day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Infidel753 for linking to this entry at Link round-up for 23 June 2024 and welcome to all of you who came here from Infidel's link! Also, welcome to my international readers from Hong Kong, China, Canada, the United Kingdom, Israel, and the rest of the planet! I appreciate all of you, especially my readers from Hong Kong, who contributed about 12,000 page views this week, more than four times as many as my American readers.

    ReplyDelete