
As I promised yesterday, I'm continuing my series on the Critics Choice Super Awards with the horror nominees. Here they are from the press release.
BEST HORROR SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MADE-FOR-TV MOVIEDexter: Resurrection and Widow's Bay lead this field with three nominations each, The Boroughs, Devil in Disguise: John Wayne Gacy, IT: Welcome to Derry, and Wednesday follow tied at two, and The Beauty and Ghosts each have just this one. On that basis alone, Dexter: Resurrection and Widow's Bay are the favorites, which I'm resolving in favor of Widow's Bay, which I voted for in the 2026 Fangoria Chainsaw Awards. It also has 19 nominations at the Emmy Awards while Wednesday has six, It: Welcome to Derry two, and the rest none. The critics are not the Hollywood creatives, but both still embody elite entertainment opinion, so they are likely to agree on Widow's Bay. As I usually write about awards shows but haven't written before in this series, electorates matter.
The Beauty
The Boroughs
Devil in Disguise: John Wayne Gacy
Dexter: Resurrection
Ghosts
IT: Welcome to Derry
Wednesday
Widow’s Bay
Follow over the jump for the acting categories.
Michael C. Hall, Alfred Molina, and Harold Perrineau are all great actors, but none of them have Emmy nominations for these roles while Matthew Rhys has two. Gold Derby has him favored to win for this role and second in their odds for his other nomination. He's ahead of the other Emmy nominee in this field, Charlie Hunnam, in that second category. He's going to win here, too.
I can see Kate O’Flynn winning this award as part of a Widow's Bay sweep, as she's nominated for an Emmy and second in Gold Derby's odds. However, she's a supporting character, while Jenna Ortega plays the title character in Wednesday and won this award for the series' first season. In addition, Laurie Metcalf is a former Oscar nominee and four-time Emmy winner, Tony Collette is a former Oscar nominee and a Critics Choice Award winner, and Camila Morrone is a former Emmy nominee. O'Flynn will have a tougher time winning than Rhys.
Now for a category I covered in 'The Boys' leads TV nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards.
On the other hand, I think Starr has the best shot at winning this award, as he's the only nominee here who is also nominated for a Best Actor in a genre TV show category. I'll examine this category at least twice more, but I doubt I'll change my mind.Peter Dinklage is a great actor, but I doubt he will beat Starr.
I expect The Beauty, The Boroughs, Ghosts, Widow’s Bay, From, and Something Very Bad Is Going to Happen will all earn nominations at the next Saturn Awards, but not necessarily in horror. The Beauty, The Boroughs, and Widow’s Bay and Something Very Bad Is Going to Happen could all be nominated in Best New Genre Series, although I doubt that will happen. Also, Something Very Bad Is Going to Happen might be eligible for Best Presentation on Television. Also, Ghosts has been nominated in fantasy except when it won Best Genre Comedy. I wish that category would come back. It will join House of the Dragon and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms in fantasy if genre comedy doesn't come back.
That's a wrap for today's installment. Stay tuned for the conclusion of this series with the action nominees.
Previous posts about the 2026 Critics Choice Super Awards
- 'Superman' leads film nominees at the 2026 Critics Choice Super Awards
- 'Obsession' vs. 'Weapons' for Best Horror Movie at the Critics Choice Super Awards
- 'Project Hail Mary' leads Science Fiction/Fantasy nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards
- Drink to the action movie nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards on National Daiquiri Day
- 'The Boys' leads TV nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards
- 'House of the Dragon' vs. 'Paradise' for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy TV nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards
No comments:
Post a Comment