As I promised twice, I'm examining the science fiction and fantasy TV nominees as the next installment of my series on the Critics Choice Super Awards. That's because "House of the Dragon and Paradise each earned four nominations apiece in the television categories" to quote the press release, tying them for second.
BEST SCIENCE FICTION / FANTASY SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MADE-FOR-TV MOVIEAs written above, House of the Dragon and Paradise lead with four nominations apiece, followed by Alien: Earth and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms tied at three, Pluribus and Silo tied at two, and For All Mankind and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds with just one each. The odd thing is that Paradise has two nominations as a science fiction/fantasy series and two as an action series, which could act as a tiebreaker. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Pluribus wins; it's that good.
Alien: Earth
For All Mankind
House of the Dragon
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
Paradise
Pluribus
Silo
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Follow over the jump for the acting categories.
The two leading actors in the field are Sterling K. Brown, who has won three Emmy Awards and is currently nominated for this role, and Emmy nominee Colin Farrell. I'd give this to Brown, who is also nominated in the next category.
I think this is a more competitive field. Brown could win this as well, but Idris Elba, Ethan Hawke, and Mark Ruffalo are stiffer competition than Farrell.
I think Rhea Seehorn will win this in a walk.
Julianne Nicholson's character was more sympathetic in the second season of Paradise than she was in the first — she was nominated for Best Villain in a Television Series, Limited Series, or Made-for-TV-Movie last year — but I don't know if that's enough for her to win this award. Angela Bassett has won this award before and my wife and I really enjoy Kaitlin Olson in High Potential, but I won't call the winner, as I will revisit this category when I cover the action nominees.
Speaking of revisiting, here's a category I covered in 'The Boys' leads TV nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards.
On the other hand, I think Starr has the best shot at winning this award, as he's the only nominee here who is also nominated for a Best Actor in a genre TV show category. I'll examine this category at least twice more, but I doubt I'll change my mind.Paul Giamatti made for a great hammy villain one loves to hate, but I don't think he'll win.
These nominees mean something for the Saturn Awards. First, For All Mankind, Silo, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds should repeat as Best Science Fiction Series nominees. The Miniature Wife and Star Trek: Starfleet Academy could join them, or they could be nominated for Best New Genre Television Series, should that category return. Paradise will be nominated, but it could remain in Action/Adventure or move to science fiction. Both House of the Dragon and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms to earn nominations for Best Fantasy Television Series at the Saturn Awards, although the latter could be recognized as Best New Genre Television Series. I'll have more to say about fantasy when I examine horror. As for Sugar, if it gets a Saturn Award nomination, it will be as a thriller.
That's a wrap for today. I'll look at horror next. Stay tuned.
Previous posts about the 2026 Critics Choice Super Awards
- 'Superman' leads film nominees at the 2026 Critics Choice Super Awards
- 'Obsession' vs. 'Weapons' for Best Horror Movie at the Critics Choice Super Awards
- 'Project Hail Mary' leads Science Fiction/Fantasy nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards
- Drink to the action movie nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards on National Daiquiri Day
- 'The Boys' leads TV nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards
No comments:
Post a Comment